Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Flickering screen

This topic is 6272 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Genx,

It is only two little letters different ze vs ws. And yes, it is used tongue-in-cheek slam on Windows mostly. If one LIKED Windows they would call it Windows; it is just as easy to spell right as wrong. But misspelling it is like my saying, "You Mak people." I found it ironic that a Windows User would use the term. And no, I didn't think you or Mike were saying anything bad about Windows.

sbg2, this forum (as Stephen has stated at the top) is for us to vent a bit if we feel like it and Mike has every right to state his frustrations. But 'the right to vent' does not include gutter-talking back to those who vent.

What we do with our computers behind closed doors is OUR business and should be kept in private - not spewed on a forum. :backtotopic:

LaRetta

:laugh2: Thanks for the laugh, Michael! Yeah, my Dell says it's missing a required dll but won't tell me which one (blank number on the error message). And it tries to find it every few hours or so. It asks me if I want to cancel the attempt. I say yes to CANCEL. It keeps going anyway ... over and over ... tries to find it, asks me, ignores me and keeps going over and over. It reminds me of the recent Mac ad, "You are coming to a sad realization ... Cancel or Allow?"

To Mike Kim,

I am in total agreement. FileMaker on Windows produces more flash. But then we can run scripts on popups and the drop-down calendar and it works great but it gives Mac users epileptic attacks! I feel it's two issues: 1) FM must straddle a creek, providing a program which adapts to both OS' and 2) FM is still in dark ages with their primitive objects; heck, their radio buttons are pathetic on BOTH platforms (but particularly Windows). I spend far too many hours jitter-busting my portals only to open Quark (which is MUCH more graphics intensive) and see fluid, smooth displays. Even Symantec ACT produces much better displays. But I maintain faith in FileMaker ... they have made giant strides with 7 and it's just getting better all the time. :wink2:

It is only two little letters different ze vs ws. And yes, it is used tongue-in-cheek slam on Windows mostly. If one LIKED Windows they would call it Windows; it is just as easy to spell right as wrong. But misspelling it is like my saying, "You Mak people." I found it ironic that a Windows User would use the term. And no, I didn't think you or Mike were saying anything bad about Windows.

sbg2, this forum (as Stephen has stated at the top) is for us to vent a bit if we feel like it and Mike has every right to state his frustrations. But 'the right to vent' does not include gutter-talking back to those who vent...

LaRetta

Hi Laretta,

1) I'm a little sorry you personally were offended. I value what you have contributed to this forum, both in time and content. However, I think the world has gone a bit crazy with the politically correct thing. Personally I often don’t give a hoot if I have offended someone with something so trivial (to me). It’s not like this site is overly worried about offending people… http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/924.html.

2) My reply was directed at Genx only and is a bit of spill over from another thread. I don't see how you can take "It's true, this is one thing they can't put on windows. And by put on, i mean blame for" as anything but derogatory?

3) I am a Windows user and strongly prefer the Windows platform. However, I don't think it's the "be all end all" and have a sense of humor about such things. While I may prefer the Windows platform I don't expect everyone else to feel the same. My use of the word Windoze is definately tongue in cheek. However, when someone makes a blanket statement that Windows is to blame for virtually everything I'm almost offended.

sbg,

I think you might have read his post wrong.... Genx is a Windows guy. He was defending windows and saying that its one thing that people cant blame on windows since windows takes the blame for so many things...

See here

It's true, this is one thing they can't put on windows.

And by put on, i mean blame for.

1) I honestly don't see how you could possibly take that as me putting windows down -- If you bother to open your eye's i even defined "put on", so to paraphrase: "It's true, this is one thing they can't [blame] windows [for]" I'm frankly offended that you apparently can't read, that or you don't take the time to?

2) In my opinion I have contributed a fair bit of my own time and a bit of decent content to these forums, so i would appreciate you taking the time to read the post before telling me to go hump my non-existent mac :

3) Joy of Tech is not affiliated with FM forums, hence they have no control over that content.

4) I would probably go further with this but as a moderator apparently I'm meant to have more patience and a greater tolerance than the average person.

5) What thread was it a spillover from?

sgg2,

As a Moderator:

If I would have wanted to read about humping, I would have gone elsewhere ... there are specific sites for these types of comments and they are not FM forums. It was borderline whether to delete it because it was 1) vulgar and 2) almost a personal attack. FM Forums is a public site and I urge you to adhere to the spirit Stephen has outlined in our rules whether you give a rip about them or not. Humping implies one thing (no matter what your political affiliation). And, as Genx points out, Joy of Tech is not FM Forums.

As a woman:

It offended me. Keep in mind I was raised by truckers and loggers ... I don't offend easily. But neither do I expect to have those types of expressions slap me in the face when I open a thread here on FM Forums. Strange that you would get offended by Genx' statement about Windows but think your comment about humping was my being overly sensitive and too politically correct. :idunno:

We don't carry issues from one thread to another; it was obvious that you were offended in your response. We don't use vulgarities and attack here. As for windoze ... it struck me as humorous since Genx is a Windows user, as John points out.

LaRetta

Mr. Vodka may be right. "It's true, this is one thing they can't [blame] windows [for]" reads to me as They are correct in blaming Windows for everyhting else".

The spillover is from the Multiple Windows thread where it appears (to me) you are blaming Windows for what (to me) appears to be a lack of functionality programmed into certain applications.

I politically corrected my original statement so as not to offend anyone.

Sbg,

Personally, I think your sarcasm is kinda funny. : However, we all should really try to refrain from arguements which are not intellectually benign. Both platforms have their pluses and minuses and people will have their personal opinions about them. Just as some people like XBOX over Playstation, or Imports verses domestic... Different strokes for different folks. But with anything, there are good and bad traits to both. If there were not, then everybody would be using one product or in the case of a bad one, nobody would.

We are all here to help each other with the task at hand called FileMaker. Now everyone, if we can get back to what these forums are about... ehh hmmm... :

Edited by Guest

Again, it seems to me you want to misinterpret everything I say. It's funny how everyone but you see's my statement as pro windows.

This is one thing they can't blame windows for, should probably be read as "This definitely has nothing to do with windows and there is no way that FM (or Mac users) can possibly say this is a windows issue like they do for many other things", not "I personally think windows is to blame for everything except this". As per the "spillover", I'm not blaming windows for not allowing functionality in that post either, it clearly does, I'm citing examples of app's that work as required on windows in the first place, hence it's a FMI decision, and then i go on to question the need for running multiple applications (same version) in the first place ( I can't see the logic for the requirement ). For gods sake just look at my platform, what is wrong with you? You're preaching to the choir.

Please, please for your own sake, I'm not sure what you do for a living, but if you do anything serious, you'd learn to read something fully and take things into consideration before you make any rash statements. Why don't you take a look through all 3000+ of my posts and then cite ONE example, where i blame Windows for anything.

At the end of the day, if you can't take the time to read someone's post properly, and if you have nothing better to do than personally attack someone, please don't post at all. I hope to god you never try to interpret a piece of legislation.

To conclude as i said, I don't have a Mac (not that i have anything real against them, this arguments been run a million times and Mac does have it's advantages just as windows does), no one but you interprets any of my posts as anti Windows, and frankly, if you want to make stuff up, go write a children's fiction book.

I withhold my responses for anything else in this topic unless it is relevant.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6272 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.