Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Copy Layout to Another Database

ssaucedo

This topic is 1823 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible to copy a layout to another database? Relationships, field names etc are not a factor. Have a backup copy of my database. Messed up a layout and want to restore it by copying the layout from my backup copy of my database.

Hi,

You can also use T-Square (View -> T-Square) or Ctrl-T in arranging your objects or items in the layout.

Object Info (View -> Object Info) would be also helpful tool in modifying your layout.

Hope that helps...

• 11 months later...

I want to re-ask this question b/c I don't know as though the answers addressed the question. You can copy/paste scripts and fields and such between one file (database) and another. But, you cannot copy/paste LAYOUTS from one file (database) to another. Is that correct? If not, please tell me how you can.

Thanks.

- Michael

The difference between using [color:blue]Clip Manager (a commercial product by myFMbutler), and the [color:blue]Copy and Paste mention in your question, and replied to by [color:orange]Barbara's, is that the [color:blue]Clip Manager can retain your better efforts in a convenient place inside Clip Manager, for access at will, and the Copy Paste is a limited to the clipboard activity.

For more about [color:blue]Clip Manager, go to their site Link

I use, and like Clip Manager.

Lee

Edited by Guest
Clarify a few points better.

you cannot copy/paste LAYOUTS from one file (database) to another. Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. You can only copy/paste layout OBJECTS from one layout to another. Which means you want to make sure the target layout has all the required parts and sufficient size to accommodate the pasted objects.

• Thanks 1

I have built a solution that is housed on a server at a local community college and I keep a copy of the DB on my office computer. I build and test new options for the DB at the office, then go to school to implement them I cannot build whole LAYOUTS and then copy and paste the new LAYOUT into the solution. I essentially must recreate it. This, in my opinion is where FMP could be improved - for developers who test functionality before implementing it in an online solution.

I understand. I don't update an existing live solution. We import the data from the old version into the new structure and then upload. It does involve downtime.

There is so much that the layout would need (as it does if you copy/paste its objects). I would imagine that you've created new relationships (TOs), scripts and fields that the old version doesn't have and that would need to remap if you pasted layout objects. This lack of the needed TOs, scripts and fields would still haunt you if you could paste a layout. In fact, the layout may need to be based on a TO that doesn't exist in the old version.

That's why I don't see this as a huge void in FM's functionality.

Yes, very good point. Either way, you'd have to do a lot of background work to make the new layout compatible with the existing infrastructure. I just found it surprising that (up until v.10) you could copy and paste scripts, fields, and tables, but not layouts.

BTW, I just noticed they took away the ability to copy/paste scripts and changed it to an "Import" function. I found that odd. I skipped over 9, so it might have been there. Have you any idea why they did that?

• 5 years later...

[using FM 12 Advanced]  

There does seem to be some inconsistency with things.  You can copy a table with cmd-c (mac), but it appears you can't cmd-v paste it in the table manager.  You have to use the "paste" button at the bottom of the screen.

But you can just copy/paste by keyboard the scripts.

As for layouts, I find I can copy the objects, but they lose their field definitions, even if the same field names exist in the new based-on table.

Just an observation, so I could be wrong.

• 5 years later...
  • Newbies

How does one create a dashboard of different templates/layouts. for example, I am using the contact template and now would like to add Asset template.  so rather than adding a new layout can we not import another template layout.

New user, I am afraid hence the question so please be kind. thank you

4 hours ago, Ayyaz said:

How does one create a dashboard of different templates/layouts. for example, I am using the contact template and now would like to add Asset template.  so rather than adding a new layout can we not import another template layout.

New user, I am afraid hence the question so please be kind. thank you

You should start a new question, instead of adding on to this very old thread.

• Like 1

This topic is 1823 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.