Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Record Deletion Logging

This topic is 4888 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, everyone.

Recently, I encountered a situation where a few records in a critical database were being deleted. Unfortunately, I don't know who or what deleted the records. Thanks to backups, I was able to recover them with relative ease, but it really got me thinking. Is there anything built into FileMaker Server that is capable of recording when a record from a database is deleted? If not, is there anything that can be coupled with FM Server (for example, an plug-in) that would allow for automatic logging of this data? Ideally, I would be looking for something that could be turned on and off for individual database (maybe even tables?) and recorded something like:

1/1/2010 12:01:02 PM User1 deleted record 5 in Database1::Table1 by running script SomeScript (runs with full access privileges).

1/2/2010 3:45:10 PM User2 deleted records 14-23 in Database2::Table4 via Relationship.

1/3/2010 11:03:52 AM User3 deleted record 8 in Database1::Table1 manually.

The purpose would not necessarily be to see what is being deleted, since I can figure that out later, but rather how it is being done. I would prefer not to write any sort of "Deleted Records" database that gets populated by script triggers and what-not, since the server should theoretically already know when it's deleting records.

Thanks.

The only way you can capture a delete event is true the Record Level Access calcs in the user's privilege set and a plugin.

Check out SyncDek from worldsync. We use it in all our heavy duty solutions. We use it for full auditlogging and roll-back & roll-forward.

This topic is 4888 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.