Server Maintenance This Week. ×

need help with "task management" starter solution

This topic is 4564 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi guys, here's my situation:

our company has been using the Task Management template for a couple of years, and it has been modified and added onto and some things are now broken. I'm tasked with fixing it, and I'm looking at the fresh starter solution as a basis (many of the problems can be fixed by cut/pasting the template scripts into the broken one). I have one hitch though.....in the layout "Project List View", there are column headers that are clickable and scripted to toggle sorting by ascending and descending order. I get the script part, but what I don't get is this: I go into edit layout mode, and right click on the header (which, again, functions as a button that triggers the sort script) and select "button setup", and it says clicking on it will do nothing! where's the button! when I exit editing back into user mode, it is clearly clickable. I can't find the trigger in edit mode!! also there is a small icon to the left of the header that displays a small bar graph image by default, and changes to an up or down arrow depending on the status of the sort. That is also clickable, performs the same script. but when I go into edit layout, it is simply a field called "hilitetype" or "hilitename", and again in "button setup" it says it isn't set to trigger anything! What am I missing hahahahah.....I'm used to seeing a button object that clearly states (in button setup menu) "perform script--->specify".

I also have a completely unrelated question, and that is: what's the cleanest way to set up a record to force a user to enter fields in a specific order (not allow clicking out of sequence) and not allow the user to exit that record or view without filling out all fields. I'm guessing the latter would require scripting all the possible navigation buttons to check the field status and either allow or block exit with an if/or/then loop. don't have any idea how to force the order of field entry, though....

1. The buttons are invisible rectangles behind the text.

2. You should use field validation in order to enforce a 'Not empty' rule. In addition (but not instead), you could also use a script triggered OnObjectValidatie to better control the user experience.

Forcing a particular order of entry would be more difficult. Why is it important?

1) that's the answer! thank you, didn't see that invisible rectangle.

2) you're right, the order of entry isn't really important...I just want to make sure the user cannot leave a record without filling in all the fields. I've set all fields to validate during user entry, require "not empty", not allow user to override during entry. But after doing that, I can still log in as a user and make a new record, click into and out of a required field (no dialogue), or navigate to another record without being stopped. Dang it!! If I click into a required field and type something, and THEN erase it, and try to click out of it, the dialogue pops up and I have to fill the field. But it's still too easy to leave fields blank. what to do?

ah, crap, that just means the missing step is employee competency.....we need to just train our staff not to make records and leave them blank and move on, or to create a task for someone and not fill in the freaking description (THEY CANT READ YOUR MIND, YOU MUST TELL THEM WHAT TO DOOOOO) hahahahah

I've set all fields to validate during user entry, require "not empty", not allow user to override during entry. But after doing that, I can still log in as a user and make a new record, click into and out of a required field (no dialogue), or navigate to another record without being stopped.

Validation should be stopping that. Make sure the validation is set to "always" and users are not allowed to over-ride.

BTW think carefully about field validation, particular for all fields. What happens if users are entering new records but info is not yet available -- they'll not be able to save the record unless they enter *something* into the field. Which they will do -- enter garbage just to get their work done.

This topic is 4564 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.