Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Defining data source of a remote client

This topic is 4459 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

The first challenge in finding the answer to a Filemaker question is trying to figure out how to ask the question!

Here goes…

I have two data files, one is a host on FM11 being accessed remotely by the client file residing on other machines including FMGo. I have records in the host file that contain fields that contain auto-enter lookup values from a related field in the client file. (The purpose of this is to create duplicate records that have been created by clients).

I must say, it all works great. With one problem. The FIRST time the client creates a new record in the host file and inserts a value into the related field, the host database can't find the client to lookup the value. After selecting the location of the client, it finds it and works great. Any new records created after that will work just fine as the host now knows the location of the client apparently.

So my question is this, is there some way to tell a remotely accessed host database the location of the client that it has the relationship with in a script so that the user doesn't have to manually tell the host where the client is the first time? I understand how to manage external data sources with known locations, but you never really know where the client will be therefore I need a way to tell the host without the user being interrupted with the dialog box, "The file <filenamehere> could not be opened. (not found)" the first time its accessed.

I hope thats clear! :-)

Thanks.

This topic is 4459 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.