sal88

Restricted database for reporting only

Hi all

Users are more frequently than ever requesting that custom reports be made. Up till now this has involved me creating layouts and scripts that can produce the data/reports in the form they want.

I'm wondering if now it might be possible to let them take control of reporting in a way that is separate from the current database (which is heavy on GUI and disabling of features for ordinary users).

I'm thinking of creating a totally new database which users would be able to completely edit from a design perspective, which would point to the main database as an external data source. However I would like it so that they would NOT be able to edit/create/delete those external records.

I've had a play with it and can't seem to get it to work (we're using external authentication via windows server active directory).

Is such a thing possible?
Many thanks

Edited by sal88
  • Like 1

Yes it's possible. But access privileges are defined in the file that holds the data.

Would they be able to have full access to data in the host file but limited in the reports file? To clarify:

Main database - users have full access to data (restricted only by layout features) but cannot edit scripts/layouts/database

Reports database - full access to design privileges, and access to data in main database but on a read only basis

I've tried to define the privileges in the host file but it doesn't appear to work, i'm guessing there's a conflict in defining privileges in the host file for files that reference it but NOT for users that are accessing the host file directly (in the usual manner).

Using external authentication might be complicating things also, perhaps when I am linking to the host file from the reports file it doesn't ask for authentication? Is native filemaker authentication better for this type of thing?

Thanks

Would they be able to have full access to data in the host file but limited in the reports file?

No. You need to limit access in the main file.

i'm guessing there's a conflict in defining privileges in the host file for files that reference it ...

I wouldn't call it a conflict. It just doesn't work that way. Probably for good reason.

Using external authentication might be complicating things also, perhaps when I am linking to the host file from the reports file it doesn't ask for authentication? Is native filemaker authentication better for this type of thing?

Either way, the file has to authenticate, and your control of that process is limited. What needs to happen is that when the user opens the Reports file with design privileges, a script runs in the Main file that does a re-login with read-only privileges. Conversely, when a user logs into the Main file normally, the Reports file should re-login with restricted layout privileges. Or something like that.

Another possible alternative that might be less headache is to import data to the Reports file. It's not unusual to separate data entry concerns from reporting (see: data warehousing).

Thanks Fitch, I'll give it a go. Loving the importing option though so might just go for that!

Another thing to consider is that you can create duplicate privilege sets (in your primary file) - the second set with certain rights turned off and then require your Users to log in again using these 'report' privilege sets.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Jure
      Hi all!
      I'm stuck. Really stuck. I can't wrap my head around this problem. So here's the issue:
      I have 4 tables:
      Users
      Projects
      Earnings
      Hours
      A member logs hours worked into a project as line items. Earnings are also logged per project as line items with date and amount.
      Now I need a report that would show total earnings per user per month. I know I'm missing something but I don't know what.
      Please help! Thank you!
      Jure
      projects-earnings.fmp12
    • By DataLackey
      Hi,
      I'm trying to use Filemaker to manage a mysql database on Amazon RDS. I'm trying to set up an import layout that will allow users to load data into into the RDS database.
      Mostly, Filemaker and mysql are playing well together. But I'm getting a problem when I try import data using LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE . I've run the query successfully with a different client on the same database (Sequel Pro) but when I run it using the Execute SQL script step in Filemaker I get an error, with the message "Load data local infile forbidden".
      I've looked around online, and it seems like I need the server and client to both enable 'local_infile'. I know it's enabled on the server (because I can check manually, and the query works on a different client). Does anyone know how to check or change this within Filemaker?
      Otherwise, does anyone have any ideas as to how I might work around this? Unfortunately I can't call a stored procedure on the server because the query relies on variables. My understanding is that you can't use variables in a LOAD DATA INFILE statement on the server, and you can't use LOAD DATA INFILE in a prepared statement.
      Does anyone know how to change the local_infile variable within the Filemaker mysql client, or failing that, does anyone have a good workaround for the restriction on variables with the LOAD DATA INFILE statement if I run it on the server?

In case it's not already blatantly obvious, I don't really know what I'm doing, so any help (especially help that is dumbed down) would be hugely appreciated.
      Thanks,
      John

• By KevinArevalo
      Good morning,

I am having a bit of a problem with External Data Sources and pulling in information correctly. We have a hosted file A, that has about 30 table occurrences from hosted file B on it's relational diagram. When we are connected to both of the solutions remotely, all of the table occurrences show up correctly. However, when we are only connected to hosted file A, not all of the table occurrences show up. Only 3 of them show up on the relational diagram, instead of the 30 that were on there before. It seems like its just three arbitrary tables too, it's a Globals table, a Preferences_System table, and a Preferences_User table. Why would this be happening? Where does the problem here lie, is there some sort of permissions that I have to set up to allow all tables to show up even if both solutions aren't open? Is this a problem which lies in how I set up the External Data Sources? 
    • By mattp52
      I am creating a run-time from two linked solution files but cannot get a working solution which references the linked file correctly. When I create the run-time if I attempt to add the linked file to the Solution Files list I get an error message that the file is either open or already linked to the primary solution file.
      Of course if I leave it out and create the runtime anyway, when I open the generated run-time I get an error that the linked file cannot be found.
      How do I get around this circular issue and why on earth won't FM let me include linked files in the Solutions list when generating the runtime?
      Thanks
    • By mattp52
      Turning to the forum for assistance on this as neither the built-in documentation and external sources seem to provide a working solution to this problem.
      Can anyone point me to a clear process for re-linking an external file source (data file)  where the solution has previously been saved with the external data source reference removed?
      I am making a cut-down copy of a production database from copies of a two-file linked solution. Despite repeated attempts to specify the files as linked to each other under Manage> External Data Sources the external data source is not found.
      Advice I Googled suggested going into Manage>Database>Tables and looking for italicised tables with "Data Source Missing" messages and that they could be re-linked from there. This is not the case, the interface file does not list external tables in the tables tab (and doesn't on the original working solution either). The Relationship Graph does show tables from the linked solution and has marked them as "Data Source Missing".
      Surely there is a straightforward way to re-link a file with foreign TO references with the external file that defines them? I've tried re-linking to the file multiple times under Manage > External Data Sources but it has no effect.
      Thanks in advance for any help.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.