Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Trouble Exporting Records via Scheduled Server Script

This topic is 3995 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to export records from a constrained set into a CSV file.  

I have taken note that when exporting via a server script you have to export to the Documents folder on the server (or a temporary folder) so I use get(DocumentsPath) & "filename.csv" for the exporting the filename and path.

When I run the script within the client it works perfectly.  The exported document is placed in the documents folder.  However, when I try to run it from the server no file is created.  I have placed a send email command into the script which shows data from the last record in the found set and the email is sent correctly, so I know the set of records is constrained successfully.  All of the script steps are compatible with a server script, and when the script is run from the server it does so without errors.

Any suggestions of what I am overlooking?  Thanks.

Joe

What path are you checking for the Documents folder? If you aren't already, it might be useful to include that in your diagnostic email. On a client, Get ( DocumentsPath ) returns the Documents folder for the current user logged-in to the OS. From the perspective of a server-executed script, there is no user logged-in to the OS, so it's less obvious where the documents folder is. I believe the default path is {applications or program files, as appropriate for the OS}/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Data/Documents/

From the perspective of a server-executed script, there is no user logged-in to the OS, so it's less obvious where the documents folder is. I believe the default path is {applications or program files, as appropriate for the OS}/FileMaker/FileMaker Server/Data/Documents/

No, on the server, the get(documentspath) returns the "Documents" folder inside the FMS folder structure; it is not user dependent.

Joe: in your post you don't have the "file:" or "filewin:" or "filemac:" prefix, I'm assuming you do have that in your script when you put the path together?

The problem has been solved. The script and the schedule was working perfectly.  I was the error.

After reading JBante's post, it lead me to figure the problem was where I was looking for the exported file.  Because I was logged into the server, I was looking into the documents folder for that user on the server: /ServerHD/Users/serveradmin/Documents/SR-patients.csv

As suggested, I put get(documentspath) into the test email and it showed: /ServerHD/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Documents/SR-patients.csv

Wim of course is correct in that get(documentspath) is not user dependent.  Its just that the user didn't realize his documents folder was different that Filemaker's documents folder.

Thank you both for your replies.  Greatly appreciated!

No, on the server, the get(documentspath) returns the "Documents" folder inside the FMS folder structure; it is not user dependent.

Is that not what I said?

This topic is 3995 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.