Centering A Record In A List View

iking42

This topic is 3772 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have an index LIST with titles as buttons. Selecting a title opens a new window with detailed information in a FORM view.

The script that returns me to the index needs to center (when possible) the displayed list on the Last_Record_Selected.

This is easly done by forcing the list view record pointer to the last record and then moving to the Last_Record_Visited + an 

offset value. Works like a charm - except - it  leaves the active record pointer setting at the last record in the visible list.

I am matching a global Last_Record_Visited field to the actual Record_Number field in a Conditional Formatting statement

to highlight the active index record and the record I need to return to and place near the center of the list (when possible).

However, the active record pointer is at the + offset record number some distance away.  This creates a very dangerous

situation since the user may damage this record thinking they are working in the highlited record. 

Any suggestions on moving the active record pointer back to the Last_Record_Visited value without the list moving?

Knucklehead

Hi knocklehead, and welcome to the Forums,

I moved your topic  from "FileMaker Pro 12" to "Layouts”, because the General Topics are for discussion of the tool, functions, and features that were new with that release of FileMaker, and not for asking How-To questions.

This is easly done by forcing the list view record pointer to the last record and then moving to the Last_Record_Visited + an 

offset value.

I think you mean - (minus) an offset value? Otherwise it makes no sense, unless you start by going to the first record, not last. Anyway, you could do something very simple like:

Go to Record/Request/Page [ Last ]
Go to Record/Request/Page [ YourTable::gRecNum - 7 ] [ No dialog ]
Go to Record/Request/Page [ Next ]

The list will not scroll until you reach the first off-screen record at the bottom of the page.

Of course, this needs adjustment to handle the first 7 records.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help:

Nope. Must use + to push the list up moving the desired record to near the center of the list. There in lies the problem. My record pointer is now at the record at the bottom of the list. I have tried many approaches of "Go to Record/Request/Pager [ Previous] to move the pointer back up the list to the highlited record but the results are not what you would expect. List always shifts to place the highlited record at the bottom of the list. 

I need the process to end with the record pointer being the one highlited and both near the center of the list (ignoring the list bounds)

Thanks for the assist.  My wife has a problem understanding me also :hmm:

Looking at your example it is clear we are not on the same page. I have a small function example of what I am trying to accomplish that I could send you. This example demonstrates structure requared as well as the problem far better than I can with words. Problem is, being new to this interface, I do not know how to include the file in a message as you did. If you could enlighten me on the attach aspect of this system I will attach a copy for your review.

Once again, Thanks for taking the time to assist me.

Knucklehead 

This topic is 3772 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.