Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker Server 12v6 on 10.9.1 : Admin Server Manager Unavailable 10006 error

xochi

This topic is 3735 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Per FileMaker, FMS 12v6 is supposed to solve issues running on OS X Mavericks 10.9

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13131

I followed the instructions, including the uninstall of my existing FM12 installation, reboot, and reinstall.

Everything is now up and running (FileMaker itself, Web Publishing Engine, and IWP works).

However, after a reboot, I can't get into the Admin console : when I try to launch it:

* admin_console_webstart.jnlp  downloads

* admin_console_webstart.jnlp won't open by double-clicking (unidentified developer warning)  however if I right-click and choose "Open" it will launch

* Java then runs but I get an error "Admin Server Manager Unavailable"

* if I try the fmsadmin commands in terminal, for example:

fmsadmin start adminserver

* I get the following error:

Error: 10006

Complexity: I am running OS X 10.9.1 and OS X Server 3.0.2

Any ideas?  

More info.  Googling shows that the 10006 error just means "already running" so I went ahead and stopped the admin server.

With the adminserver stopped, then the Java applet won't launch at all, and I get the following Exception:

java.io.FileNotFoundException: http://localhost:16000/admin_console_webstart.jnlpat sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getInputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:1624)
at com.sun.deploy.net.HttpUtils.followRedirects(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.doRequest(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.net.BasicHttpRequest.doGetRequestEX(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.cache.ResourceProviderImpl.checkUpdateAvailable(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.cache.ResourceProviderImpl.isUpdateAvailable(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.cache.ResourceProviderImpl.getResource(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.deploy.cache.ResourceProviderImpl.getResource(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.updateFinalLaunchDesc(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.prepareToLaunch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Launcher.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.launchApp(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.continueInSecureThread(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main.access$000(Unknown Source)
at com.sun.javaws.Main$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

So there appears to be a difference between "admin server manager unavailable" and the adminserver process not running at all.  Hmm.

More info.

I used the instructions here to re-deploy the server:   http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6989   (note that this causes you to lose all of your server settings, so you have to re-enter them)

I then used the same settings as before, with one exception:  On Admin Console / Configuration / General Settings / Admin Console / Restrict Asset, I left Enable Access Restrictions set to OFF.

Now everything works fine.

What appears to be happening is this:   The server has a DNS name which evaluates to the public WAN side of the internet.  However, the server's actual IP address is a LAN address.   It appears that the admin console grabbed the WAN IP address, and was thus not matching properly to the LAN address I had entered.   So this seems to be a bug in the admin server.

FileMaker does have a note which says

• For the “Enable access restrictions” setting on the General Settings > Admin Console tab, do not enter localhost or 127.0.0.1 to restrict access to the localhost address. If you set “Enable access restrictions” to the localhost address, you may prevent Admin Console from launching on any system.

but this appears to be incomplete - it seems that if you enter any IP address in this setting and it's a LAN address, that admin console seems to compare it to the WAN address, and a mismatch causes a launch failure.

This topic is 3735 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.