Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 3597 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have FileMaker Pro (unfortunately not advanced) and have created a ChangeLog table for my solution. The idea is that whenever the user enters or modifies information into a field, I record where (table, ID, field), when (date, time), who (user) and what (field content before and after) was done.

The problem that I have is that a user can delete a record using a toolbar button. If I understand correctly, I cannot attach a script to that action in FileMaker Pro (but in Advance I could do it using custom menus). Is there an "easy" way for me to still document that the user deleted a record?

In case it helps; all my tables are equipped with a table ID which is an automatic serial number.

Completely lock down the status bar to the user and replicate the necessary functionality with buttons.

Youll have to build some complex scripts so the advantages of advanced come into play here.

IMHO If you have the need and knowledge to build a changelog you probably need to step up to Advanced anyway. The benefits of script debugger, data viewer, and custom functions alone are worth the price of admission.

• Like 2

Use the privilege set to take away the user's ability to delete records.

Then provide them with a "delete" script so that you can log the action before deleting the record.  The Delete script can be toggled to run as "full access" so it overrides the user's restriction.

• Like 2

Instead of hiding the toolbar, use custom menus to take control of the Delete Record menu command which in turn will also take control of the delete toolbar button.  The menu can be pointed to a script that you write to take complete control of the process.

Modifying the privilege set should also be done as Wim describes so that more clever people cannot find a way around your UI to do things they should not.

This topic is 3597 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.