Server Maintenance This Week. ×

File Configurations

This topic is 3536 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Tim,

We currently have separation on both server (desktop administrative UI and DATA) and IOS (IPad users UI and DATA).  I am seeking the best combination of files and I was wondering if you've had a chance to test various configurations for stability or speed?  Fewer files will be simpler to administer of course but if there is an issue during the sync, I would rather corrupt the sync file instead of the data file.  I have not heard of any crashes with EasySync but we've had iPad files crash during imports so I want to be especially gentle with the iPad data file ( with least amount of interaction).

Do you think EasySync should be in its own file and versioning separate as well or which combination of the various pieces would be less prone to corruption in case of connection drop and which would be the easiest to administer?

My sense is that a sync file which also holds versioning would go together nicely.  The sync file could be replaced with little work, it could replace both ui and data files with newer versions after its sync and could carry out any additional business rule tweaks.  Data ... logic ... business rules  - would all pivot here and the logic would reside in a single location (like a data/logic router).

How are others configuring EasySync and how do you envision it would work best with our four-file setup?  BTW, we have FMS13.

You have an incredible solution and thank you so much for sharing it with the FileMaker community.   Your work is concise and clean and a joy to explore.  :-)

LaRetta --

Sorry for the delay - I've been on vacation.

I have not tested EasySync with the type of configuration that you've described, but here are some general thoughts...

I would implement EasySync in the UI file of the iPad side of things, and in the DATA files on the server. I believe that will give you the best performance and make it easier for you to deploy the solution.

Regarding versioning and deploying future versions, you could implement EasyDeploy using a similar setup (UI on the mobile side, DATA on the server). It might take a little customization to deploy multiple files.

Hope this helps.

-- Tim

This topic is 3536 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.