Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker Server not starting, not even from the Terminal

This topic is 3532 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

I do not know what I did but my FileMaker Server does not start anymore. I also get an error -bash: fmsadmin: command not found when trying to restart the FMServer under terminal.

Yesterday, I've been trying to enable the FileMaker Web Service ans was having some trouble. I was getting the error 

"Test Web Server (http://<sample web or ip address>/fmi-test/test.xml): failed: Return code = 404.

When verifying :

• Apache/2.2.26 (unix) is running
  • test.xml found is located under /Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/web-server-support/test/fmi-test/test.xml
  • ​if I remember correctly I am running FileMaker Server 2.0.5....
  • When trying to start the Console I get and "Application Error - Unable to launch the application.

ENVIRONMENT

The FileMaker Server Library is located on a different drive than where FileMaker has been installed. Used the tool in Admin Console to do this, at this moment:     MacIntosh HD/Library/Server/... (Calendar, Mail, Messages, ProfileManager, Software Update, Web, Wiki)

Computer : MacMini Server

IOS : Maverick, X Server

Disk: Server HD (SSD OWC Mercury 3G SSD Media)  and MacIntosh HD (Hitachi Rotational)

Processor: 2,53 Ghz INtel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 8 Go 1067 Mhz DDR3

Startup Disk: Server HD

I do not if all of this is related, I do not know where to go from there. I would appreciate if someone could help me. 

My first question is how do I get to start FileMaker Server ? Next, what do I have to do to get to enable the Web Service ?

Thanks for helping!
Daniel

The FileMaker Server Library is located on a different drive than where FileMaker has been installed. Used the tool in Admin Console to do this,

This part does not make sense... did you actually move the FMS folders AFTER installing FMS?

That would explain why fmsadmin could not be found when you try to run it and why the launchd settings are pointing to the wrong locations.

Can you explain what you were doing here and why?

I really appreciate you helping me with this problem.

I was in the admin console and going through the different tabs I saw this option where theses folders could be moved onto another drive. In reading the documention the only condition was to ensure the drive was always there when starting FileMaker Server.

Since I am using a Mac mini server and the Sever HD and the Macintosh Hd drive are always there I thought there was not going to be any problems.

The reason was I did this is because all my apps are located on the Server HD which is a SSD. The disk having 250 GB, I thought I was doing myself a favor in moving this onto another drive. Note I did not manually moved the folder and it's content. this was done from the admin console. FileMaker itself by selecting this option move all the folders and sub-folders. Moving everything took about 10 minutes and everything was moved without any error messages.

Do you believe. I should re- install FileMaker server ?

I still have 110 GB left on Server HD, it it enough to hold FileMaker server ?

The backups are done every hours and I keep 12 copies. The backups are copied over the Macintosh HD drive.

Thanks.

Daniel

The settings in the admin console allow you to specify different folders for the live FM files, not for the FM executables or system files.

So yes: at this point I think your fastest way out of this is to reinstall FMS.

110GB free: I have no idea whether that is enough in your scenario.  Keep in mind that you can still set FMS to have the live files and the backups on another drive, but you can not move the FMS library folder.

Thanks Wim,

I've reinstalled FileMaker Server and everything works fine now. Once the installation was completed the database was there along with my schedule for backups.

I was successful in opening remotely the database onto another computer.

While trying to install FileMaker Sever using the installer I was having problems until I saw a Maverick version. Using the Maverick installer everything went ok.

Good news the XML and php web service also installed successfully

Is it possible, the problem I was having earlier was caused by not having upgraded to Maverick?

Thanks again.

Daniel

This topic is 3532 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.