Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 3477 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I configured EasySync inside my big project (a lot of tables, occurrences and scripts).

I created a table just for testing the sync.

Testing configuration:

Hosted Database: Dedicated server, windows , filemaker server 13

Mobile Database: My personal Imac, Filemaker 13 Pro Advanced

Filemaker quits unexpectedly quite often when I'm trying to sync the database.

It happens most of the time when I click OK on the "Successful Sync" message dialog at the end of the sync but sometimes it will crash a little bit before that dialog box.

Edit:

Actually it now crashes every time (I got the sync to work a couple of times before but now it always crashes)

The sync is linked to a single table with only one text field (other than the ES fields)

If you want some logs , just ask me.

Thanks

Additional Info:

1.I transfered the mobile database on my ipod and the sync worked just fine even if it was quite slow (it took 2.2 minutes for a single table/record)

2.I get a "slow server" warning from the ping script set to 5000 ms. That is strange because the server is decent and I have a great internet speed here. It happens both on the Imac and the ipod

Another info:

I went to the External Data Sources section and noticed that I had 

1.Another source pointing to the same online database than the Hosted_Database instance used by the Sync

2.A couple of unused and/or invalid offline external datasources.

I removed them all so I only have Hosted_Database as an external source and I was able to sync 3 times in a row from my Imac.

Hopefully it's not a fluke.

I will do some more tests tomorrow.

First Sync attempt today.

Filemaker crashes right after I click the ok button of the last message dialog of the sync script.

Quite frustrating as it's really tough to debug.

The second sync attempt (no change to data) went through.

I changed the data in the table to sync, I synced again and it crashed once more.

Both crashes happened after I click the ok button of the "Sync completed" message.

I then tried it again , sync went fine.

Then another time, it crashed again but this time before the "Sync completed" message.

So basically it crashes randomly which is the worst thing.

I will try the sync from a Windows machine to see if it replicates .

First lines of the "report log" right after my last crash:

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Application Specific Information:
terminating with uncaught exception of type std::length_error: basic_string::_S_create
abort() called

I'm about to give up.

The crashes are completely random.

It can work fin 3 times in a row and then crash 3 times in a row.

It crashes most of the time after the "Sync completed" message but sometimes before it.

I have no idea of what could be the problem .

Any hint would be really appreciated.

P.S.

Looking at my Filemaker Server log I see those warnings

Warning Client "My name (My iMac) [My Ip address]" no longer responding; connection closed. (51) 
Warning Client "My name (My iMac) [My Ip address]" no longer responding; connection closed. (10) 

Those warnings could only happen within a sync since I'm not connected remotely.

Maybe it's an hint right there.

And now I got another type of crash. It crashed right at the start of the "Sync with server" script. It did not even had the time to move to the Easy_Sync_Payloads layout.

I don't know what's going on.

For the record I don't think EasySync is to blame.

I post my problem here because we don't get crashes elsewhere (excepted the occasional crash in design mode)

Hi there.

How much memory do you have in your iMac?

-- Tim

Thanks for the reply.

I have 4GB which is unfortunately the max I can put on my Imac 2007

The problem that you're describing sounds memory-related - possibly because of the size of the payload being generated.

Have you tried syncing with a smaller payload to see what happens?

-- Tim

The database is big (90 MB) but the payload is actually very small as I only sync a single very small table with less than 10 records.

Unless I don't really understand what you mean by payload ...

This is a really strange problem.

I'm currently doing a test on a new created database with all the tables from my current database. I Imported 20MB worth of data in it.

The connection is done much quicker (no warning) and the sync takes around 5 seconds vs 40 seconds with the original database

Of course the new database has no relation and basically no layout so that could explain the difference in speed. Both sync the same small table though

I'm testing the ping function.

I noticed that it takes near 10 seconds with my current database.

If I remove all the occurrences in the "Relationships" section, the ping drops to 66 milliseconds.

So is it the simple fact of having a lot occurrences and relationships in the hosted database that slows down a simple connection to it ?

Or maybe there is something wrong with our file ? (Recover function found nothing BTW)

This topic is 3477 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.