Sign in to follow this  
Elkpodemiami

Multiple Portal Results

Hello all. 

I have a question that it's not clear in my mind on whats the most efficient way of doing this.

I have 2 tables:

1 - exercise Type ( id, name )

2 - exercises ( id, type, name )

So in a layout i have a portal that is pointing to the exercises table, in the same layout I have a checkbox field with a value list that points to the exercise types

For example:

--- Exercise Types

Bicep

Tricep

Plyos

Sprints

and so on...

--- Exercises

Bench Dips (belongs to Tricep)

Rope Pushdown (belongs to Tricep)

Broad Jumps (belongs to Plyos)

Squat Jumps (belongs to Plyos)

and so on...

What I need to accomplish basically is that every time an "exercise type" is checked the portal adds up and displays the exercises based on that type, so the found set on the portal will increment as more checkboxes are checked.

Thanks in advance.

Lucas

If your relationship is based on the type field in both tables, that's about all there is to it.

What Fitch said: if you have a field formatted as value list, the field can act as multiline key.

But for that to work, you need to define your relationships, and your value lists correctly; in that case, a value list that is based on 1: field: primaryID, 2: a text field. Also, you're not matching the correct fields.

Last but not least, in your file the foreign key exerciseType in the Exercises table doesn't hold the primary key from the ExerciseTypes table, but the body part name. I corrected this in the attached file, but you need to make sure that you insert that primary key when setting the exercise type, i.e. change the procedure that's in place.

db_eosMOD.fmp12.zip

Perfect, thank you very much for the explanation as well as the solution.

I checked the file and it made sense, I was not looking at the right data. I'm very appreciated for your help Eos.

Regard, Lucas

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Answers
      The problem is I have a value list that is based on 2 fields from another table, the first field is Order and the second is the Description, but it only populates with the first field which is a number and doesn't make sense. We need the description. I've had this problem before and worked around it, and I wish there was a simple way to solve this. So I made a calculation that concatenates the 2 fields for the value list, and the script trigger sets the field with the description without the number included (the script trigger does other things as well). But I realize not all of the value list is sorted correctly because it's a text field. Maybe a new calculation?
      Sorry for being long winded,  any ideas on how to resolve this issue would be appreciated.
      Caroline
    • By Bill Richter
      So I am fairly new to this and I am trying to get a inventory database set up. I am working on making the database a that is in 3nf. I am trying to pull information on a drop down menu from different tables. I have attached how they are related below. The input menu does not show me anything from the drop down menu, though there is data there. Do I need to create a desperate table for title data where I store information or am I missing a step to pulling the data from the other table?

• By Randy Bennett
      Yes, I did say iPhone 5 -
      I have a small database i created that has a few portals on different layouts - Everything works fine on my Mac, fine on my iPhone X, even fine on my iPad mini
      However, I need it to also work on an old iPhone 5 and the portal data is just blank - nothing. In fact, I really ONLY need it to work on this old iPhone 5 (This particular database will go to a music festival to be used by several other people and I can't give them my iPhone) 
      I have another layout with different portals that are working on the iPhone 5 - but not this main screen. 
      I have made sure that all of my fields are small and inside the portal. - So, I am stuck as to why? BTW - It is Filemaker Go 16.0.4.456 (The latest version that I can install on an iPhone 5)

• By cat traveller
      Hi everyone,
      on a file accessed via filemaker Go 17, I am using a scripted navigation to move records up and down in a portal that is inside a popover.
      This has worked in filemaker 12 like a charm and also works on a filemaker client. The records smoothly move up and down the list. 
      However in Filemaker Go, the portal follows every move of the script as if it is not aware of the freeze portal.
      EG the down button is to move the record one record further down inside the filtered and sorted portal (like so)
      This is the script.

- freeze window and go to portal
      - go to first line of portal and loop through the portal until I hit the record to move
      - go to next line and give the position field the value of my record to be moved
      - go to line above and give the position field the value of my record +1
      - commit record and refresh portal via an x join 
      - go to last line of the portal 
      - go to the line of position of my record to be moved. 

Would anyone be aware of this issue or know a workaround to stop the portal from flickering?

Thanks so much

• By Gismo12
      Hi,

I have a drop down in a portal, how do i filter the drop down box to only display the record relating the record in focus on the active layout where the portal is inserted?
      example: I have a customer selected in my customer layout, the customer has several products related to that customer. when I click on the drop down list in the portal, I only want to see the products for that specific customer. The drop down is in the warranty portal, products are saved in the product table with a reference to the customer.

Please could you assist?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.