Login Logoff Button Scripting

gilli

This topic is 4183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi I have made a database to track my employees start and finish times.

The only issue I have is that I need multiple employees to use the database file and log in with there account name which all works well.

The problem I have is that I need each employee to logon and put in there start time (then log off) in the morning keeping that record active until they loin at the end of the day and enter there finish time to that same record. Other employees will also need to be able to do the same thing.

I have set all employees privileges in creating and editing records the same. i just don't know how to script the login and logoff button to effectively keep the record active until it is closed off at end of the day.

Does anyone have a solution to help me out on this.

Hi Gilli, and welcome to the Forum,

You have posted this in "Solutions Wanted", in the Classified Topic Area, a topic reserved for "

Searching for that ready made solution, perhaps someone else can point you in the right direction

But your question reads as if you are only looking for help with serving the file? Depending on your response, I may be moving your thread to a different Topic Area.

Are you looking to purchase an "off the shelf" solution? Hire a developer to do some work on your files? or needing the normal "how to" help from the members to finishing this up?

Lee

Hi I have made a database to track my employees start and finish times.

The only issue I have is that I need multiple employees to use the database file and log in with there account name which all works well.

The problem I have is that I need each employee to logon and put in there start time (then log off) in the morning keeping that record active until they loin at the end of the day and enter there finish time to that same record. Other employees will also need to be able to do the same thing.

I have set all employees privileges in creating and editing records the same. i just don't know how to script the login and logoff button to effectively keep the record active until it is closed off at end of the day.

Does anyone have a solution to help me out on this.

I assume that when they log in now a record is created. I am also assuming that in some way it is tagged with the person (either via a name or via a prime key (better) for that employee) logging in and with the current date. If this is correct, there is no need to "keep that record active" through the day.

In the log routine, have the program check to see if there is a record that contains both the employee identifier and the current date (you can do that with a relationship using both current date and emplyee identifier). If not, that signifies to the program that this is a log in process and then have the program branch to create a new record, properly tagged with the employee and the date. This would be the initial log in for that employee for the day.

Subsequently, at the end of the day, have the employee come back to the program and log again. In this case, the log script should identify that there is a log in record in existence and (probably using a go to related record command) direct that employee back to that record to fill in a log out time.

hth

Dave

I just coded one of these and it's pretty simple until you hit the circumstance where logoff is on a different day than login. I have my script check the date to see if a new record was needed (ie 1 record per day). The dates were cycled in pay periods (modulo), and this is simple unless pay is on the 1st and 15th which adds a bunch of date tests.

I've seen some canned FMP solutions around that look pretty good. Just search for FMP Timesheets or Timecards.

This topic is 4183 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.