Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Only registered users download?

This topic is 3932 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Stephen,

We have always been able to download attachments even if not signed in.  Currently that isn't the case ( at least not in my attempts ... MacBookPro 10.8.4 and Safari 6.0.5 ).

It was an ability about FMForums that I really liked because sometimes I provide links to external sources and they may not wish to register to take advantage of a download. Forcing folks is what Cafe' does. Anyway, if it has to be then so be it but it would be nice if it worked as it has in the past.  

Thanks for listening!

Best regards,

LaRetta

can you tell me what forum you were in specifically that forbid the download - if it was in a FORUM then yes you can download but if it was on the Market place i believe you have to be logged in to download samples.

One example is in Database Schema.  Here:  http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/89069-merge-container-field/

Trying to download the file on post #5, when not signed in says I do not have permission to do that.  I've gotten it a few other times as well but they were all regular forums.

It might just be me?  I had rebooted my mac and tried again just now and I get same results.  Thanks for checking on it for us!

I can't for the life of me understand why we would even want to let anonymous users have the same access as our members? Especially since it doesn't cost anything to be a member.

Hi Lee,

I can understand if non-members are restricted from seeing member details for example but if you let them come here and read the posts without registering, not being able to download the example is, ahm, abrupt.  And it has never been that way in the past so we could provide links while in the other forums to threads here and trust that they can access the download as well.

As is, we will have to either also provide the demo elsewhere or remind folks to register free. The bottom line is that folks using FileMaker have access to free information and this site certainly does that!

Hi Stephen,

While I do not agree with this new policy, I will recommend that folks register.  They should anyway since this is the best forum out there.  :laugh2:

This topic is 3932 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.