Custom homepage

This topic is 3522 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm hoping someone else out there has had some success with this, or at least some thoughts to lend.

The WebDirect Guide has a simple and rather straightforward instructional page regarding the use of a custom homepage in WebDirect, instead of the default Database Homepage, for a more seamless solution without the WebDirect branding. I have followed the instructions to the letter, making the desired changes to the fmwebd_home.html page in the HTTPServer/conf folder, and even restarting the web publishing engine. However, no matter what changes I make, no change is seen on WebDirect's homepage. Even if I completely remove the fmwebd_home.html file from the folder, as well as the copy of the original, the default Database Homepage still continues to show.

Is this a bug? Is there some caching issue (not on the client end, since it happens even if I connect from a computer that has never connected before)? Where is the actual page that is showing, and most importantly, how can I change it?

There is some documentation from FileMaker on this, but it does not work properly.  I found this on another forum and it worked for me:

Using a custom homepage

To replace the default Database Homepage, place an HTML file named fmwebd_home.html in the HTTPServer/conf folder where FileMaker Server is installed (Windows) or in the /Library/FileMaker Server/HTTPServer/htdocs folder (OS X). Web users are returned to this page when they log out of a session or the session times out.

You can use the fmwebd_home.html file that is on the disk image as a basis for your custom homepage. Be sure to make a copy of the original file before modifying it. Or you can create your own homepage, such as one that redirects web users to another page on your website.

If there is no file named fmwebd_home.html in the conf folder (Windows) or the htdocs folder (OS X), FileMaker WebDirect uses the default Database Homepage.

To prevent a custom homepage from loading into the FileMaker WebDirect layout frame when a user logs out via a script or when a session times out, add the following JavaScript to the head section of the fmwebd_home.html file:

if (window != window.top) top.location = "/fmi/webd/#";

You can set top.location to the home URL or any other URL.

Windows 2008R2

If you using a 2 machine setup, make sure your modifying the worker machine.

There was one other part I forgot to mention that is NOT is FileMaker's documentation:

Got to  (Win) FileMaker ServerWeb Publishingpublishing-enginejwpc-tomcatfmiVAADINthemesdefaultlayouts

(OSX) /Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/jwpc-tomcat/fmi/VAADIN/themes/default/layouts(OS X)

I changed the imp_home.html file to the following (make a backup just in case):

<body>
<script type="text/javascript">
         top.location.href = "http://<you URL to Redirect Goes Here>";
</script>
</body>
  • Like 2

You, sir, are a genius. I had seen that iwp_home.html file before, on my frustrated searches of the entire FileMaker Server directory, but frankly passed it off as some sort of legacy relic from IWP. This is just what we needed, thank you! Now we can actually move forward with the transition! As a side note, at least in Chrome, it does tend to flash the old page at me briefly, including a strange, bright red "Communications Error" message at the top, but only for a moment, before redirecting correctly. I am ok with this, since users will only see it on the way out, and therefore probably won't be scared off. Thank you again!

• 1 month later...
  • Newbies

Thank you both for this discussion, every bit of it applies to me but I have an additional issue: When I apply the suggested Javascript it somehow defeats the CSS in my WebDirect projects and ALL of the pages are different.  It doesn't seem to matter how delicately I preserve the other elements of that page or how completely I obliterate them, this javascript just shuts down all CSS in any WebDirect pages on that site.  

What's up with that?  What core concept am I missing here?  I just want to send some users to a WebDirect Session, and yet send them somewhere else I specify when done.  Any ideas appreciated! :)

-Michael

michaelbbateman, the javascript is only for the home page and does a redirect. It would not affect the CSS after the redirect. Perhaps something else is going on. What comes to mind is a previous modification that caused the issues or a layout that has a classic theme. Classic theme just doesn't work well with Webdirect and causes strange issues.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • Newbies

I did the above, quoted here:

Replaced this file with the on with this code:

Path: C;//Library/FileMaker Server/Web Publishing/publishing-engine/jwpc-tomcat/fmi/VAADIN/themes/default/layouts/iwp_home.html

<body>
<script type="text/javascript">
</script> 

</body>

There are still some issues, once deployed:

If you “cancel” when prompted to logon, the server will re-direct to something like “http://192.168../fmi/webd#, and leave you on a blank page.

When you logout, also, the server will re-direct to something like “http://192.168../fmi/webd#, and leave you on a blank page.

This is not acceptable to the client who wants branding.

Can someone explain how to error trap for the re-direct?

Thanks,

Jonn

• 2 weeks later...

I think solution may be in specifying the home URL.  We produce the following redirect which always puts a user in the correct place and could be modified (I assume) to point them to the custom homepage:

https://<your domain here>/fmi/webd?homeurl=https://<yourdomain here>/#DATABASE

This topic is 3522 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.