Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Send Mail using SMTP server - Error 1506

This topic is 3726 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a very established and reliable messaging system using Send Mail by SMTP server on FMSA 12. It's worked for years until now...

We recently changed our mail server setup and are now using Mimecast, but still with our original Exchange server at the 'front end'. Today there has been a performance issue between the Exchange and Mimecast hosts resulting in every message reporting error 1506, even though the messages are actually getting delivered.

The official FM help says "Email(s) could not be sent successfully" - obviously a wrong interpretation of the real event.

My suspicion is that there is a timing issue between FMS and Exchange that is now exceeding expected parameters.

Does any one know if there is such a timing consideration built in to FMS and possibly how to adjust it, or at least understand why it might exist and what I might do about it.

Thanks

There's nothing to adjust unfortunately, it's a baked-in setting.

You're right that FMS will only wait so long for Exchange to reply with a confirmation and now that you have Exchange relaying it to MimeCast the process exceeds FMS's timeout.

It's not really a FMS time-out but the script step's internal code.

One way out of it would be to use a direct connection to mimecast and forgo the relay.

Many thanks for your confirmation, and unfortunately I cannot go direct to Mimecast.

Interestingly, I used to run my own in-house mail server and never had a single 1506. Then we outsourced to Exchange, and I got a few 1506s popping up occasionally.

Now, with Mimecast in place, the 1506s are quite frequent even when everything is running normally.

Of course my dilemma is I cannot determine the difference between a 'true' 1506 (when the message really does fail) and a 'time-out' 1506.

This topic is 3726 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.