Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Upgrading to Filemaker 12

This topic is 3055 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I am currently using Filemaker Server 8 for server and Filemaker Pro 8 for clients and Filemaker Pro 8.5 Advanced as developer version.
Filemaker pro clients run on Mac OS X version 10.4.11 and Filemaker server runs on windows server 2003

Along with this we use MYSQL 5.1 and Lasso Professional 8.5

We are planning to upgrade our system to latest versions of softwares and want to know Do’s and Don’ts. Initially these were installed by person who has known these software for life time and I am just maintaining the DB for changes and enhancements. This is my first time buying these software and updating them.
We are planning to buy new Macs and install the Filemaker clients. We may set up the same windows 2003 server for the new Filemaker server.

Any advise and tips will save some time. When I import files from Filemaker 8.5 to Filemaker 11 or 12 , what are the anticipated problems and how can I avoid or fix them. Any help on buying these softwares is much appreciated.

Please help.

"When I import files from Filemaker 8.5 to Filemaker 11 or 12…"

Note that there is no import required to open 8.5 files in FileMaker 11. You just open the files; they are all in .fp7 format.

However there is a requirement to convert when going from 8.5 to FM12 or FM13.

When we started thinking about the upgrade, the latest available version was 12 and now that 13 is released, yes that coulnd be an option.

@ Bruce, When you say convert is required, when I copy the files to server and open them, covert takes place automatically or do I have to manually convert them?

• 1 year later...

Yes. We are upgrading the clients and windows servers to 2008 too. I started this upgrade and lot of things has changed on Filemaker server side. WPE had its own Admin account which was used on filemaker account privileges to allow fields to be seen on Lasso server. iii) WPE Admin account . I do not see that anymore. What happens now? Also, There was Admin account between WPE and Filemaker server FileMaker Server identifier/passcode I only see FMSA Admin console account. Please advice.

This topic is 3055 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.