Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Meetings (Database Structure Question)

This topic is 1758 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey,

I have the following problem. I'm working on a solution for the owner of several restaurants. Each restaurant has meetings once or twice a month. How would I structure the tables so that I could have a layout on which I select a restaurant and then inside a portal I get a list of all employees. On the portal for each row I want to have a button or checkbox to mark if an employee is present or not.

I already have the following tables:
Restaurants, Employees and Meetings

So far I have a relationship between the Restaurants and Employees table which I use to assign employees to a restaurant, and a relationship between the Meeting and Restaurant table, which allows me to show all employees that work at a selected restaurant using a portal on the meetings layout. How do I proceed to solve my problem? Do I create another table MeetingAttendees or something similar that I use to keep track of people attending a meeting? How would I create a relationship then to allow me to mark certain employees as present and absent?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Edited by 123

I would think the MeetingAttendees join table on the right path with the field for present/absent.  Actually I don't think you need that field because if an employee is listed as an attendee, then they are present.  If not listed absent.

The FM training series (I know 12 had it) has a section specifically about this.   How to select attendees, and how the relationships are set up.

Thanks for the reply,

there is a starter solution called "Meetings", however it doesn't solve my problem. There aren't any attendees involved, it's only about meetings and topics.

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

I'd create a text field in the Meetings table with a list of IDs (separated by returns) of the Resturant's employees present.

You should display the list of employees as buttons at one side, then clicking a name can trigger the addition of an ID to the list.

On 7/11/2019 at 3:23 PM, Rafael Santana said:

a text field in the Meetings table with a list of IDs

That's a possibility - although it limits your reporting options.

Anyway, if you want to go that way, a simple checkbox would do. No need for " list of employees as buttons at one side".

Edited by comment

This topic is 1758 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.