FM solution design questions

This topic is 1904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Band Solution Design

I am trying to create a filemaker solution for my band. I have been unable to find a pre-made solution that does everything I want, so I am going to try and create my own using filemaker. I am looking for advice on what tables and structure I should use, before I start.

Entities

• Band Members - I need contact info and a history of money I have paid them from any gigs

• Clients - People that hire us for gigs. I need to send them a press kit in hopes of getting hired. Invoice them, and send a receipt.

• Fans - Marketing to these people , email, text, social media, etc. Can a fan also be a client? Yes, but it is pretty rare. I am thinking if a fan happens to be a client as well, they should probably be in both tables. I am not 100% on whether or not Fans and clients can be in the same table

• Assets - An inventory of our equipment owned for tracking and insurance purposes

• Merchandise - We sell shirts, hoodies, hats, etc, at our gigs.

• Invoice - We need to be able to invoice our merchandise and invoice our clients for our services (Performing gigs) Our merchandise is sold by us and has nothing to do with the clients.

• Songs - A table to keep info on all songs we play. Containers with pdf’s, mp3’s, song information, etc. This info will be shared with band members through email. Build reports to show clients what songs we play.

• Calendar - Track gigs and practices and band member availability. Hopefully I can have the calendar sync the gigs to an external calendar on our websites. Any other information, would be for band members only. Practices and availability should not be seen on any external calendars. Band members should be able to log in and block dates they are not available so I know when I can’t schedule a gig.

Main questions from this are

1. Should our services and merchandise we sell be in the same table? On a side not, the price of our services is not a set price but negotiated for every gig. There are too many variables to be able to have a set price advertised. In other words, I can’t have, “2 hours of music for $500”. One gig might be 10 minutes away, require none of our sound equipment, while another is an hour away, requires us to bring everything, and members need a hotel for night. So every gig fee is negotiated.
  2. Are Clients and Fans in the same table? My feeling is no, but I could be wrong
  3. The Calendar table. Band members need to see everything on this, and be able to block dates. The gigs listed on this table should sync with external calendars on our website, etc. I am not even sure Filemaker can handle this kind of calendar application, but if so, why not try?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

1 hour ago, faaslave said:

1. Should our services and merchandise we sell be in the same table? On a side not, the price of our services is not a set price but negotiated for every gig. There are too many variables to be able to have a set price advertised. In other words, I can’t have, “2 hours of music for $500”. One gig might be 10 minutes away, require none of our sound equipment, while another is an hour away, requires us to bring everything, and members need a hotel for night. So every gig fee is negotiated.
  2. Are Clients and Fans in the same table? My feeling is no, but I could be wrong
  3. The Calendar table. Band members need to see everything on this, and be able to block dates. The gigs listed on this table should sync with external calendars on our website, etc. I am not even sure Filemaker can handle this kind of calendar application, but if so, why not try?

1. You could have one table for products and services it will contain the unique id for that item and it's default rates. On the line items you can summarize the products from services. Based on carefully construction of logic you could possibly create known packages that would include products and services so that you wouldn't have to add individual items, but a group of known items that might be required to be purchased together. (ie: Wedding Gigs, vs Prom Gigs )

2. This is a bigger discussion but you could implement a Party/Role model relationship where all the "People" are in the party table and that would include, Clients, Fans, Band Members, Roadies, Groupies, Venue Contacts, etc. They would have a join table that would define that persons role, and a subtype table for a given entity's attributes. Data Modeling

3. Perhaps try not to reinvent the wheel trying to display calendar data in FMP is not trivial, the data can reside there but you may consider publishing it by using one of the many third party tools ( DayBack, or SoSimpleCalendar

Thanks Stephen. I just watched the video. I haven't touched Filemaker since my last project using 11. I bought 17, and low and behold, you can finally have multiple attachments to an email. Now it's time to start getting familiar again. At least it is for my own project this time. I want this solution to have a mobile platform for the band members. Oh boy, here we go again.

This topic is 1904 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.