Server Maintenance This Week. ×

FileMaker closes when Popover is closed

This topic is 1600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all

On FM 18.03, the closing of a popover, the button of which is in each row of a portal, causes FileMaker to close.

This appears to only happen when the fields which are in that popover (the portal records) are edited.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Comment

Please find attached. I think this is down to some poorly made filtering formulas in the portal:

1. The problem doesn't occur if I delete around 7000 of the portal records
2. It also doesn't occur if I remove the carriage returns from:
PatternCount ( ¶ & Clients::multikey_Cloud_Machines & ¶  ; ¶ &  Machines::ID & ¶ )) in the portal filter
3. However if I remove all the other filters and leave just the above one (with carriage returns) it is also OK

Thanks!

portal_popover_filter_problem.fmp12

Did you click away from the popover as soon as you had populated the field? And are you on 18.03? I just tried it on version 17 and the issue didn't occur.

Thanks

This seems to be an ongoing problem ... is it the same portal by chance?

https://fmforums.com/topic/98701-crashing-with-filter-formula/

Windows has, over its years, suffered from crashing portals.  I don't remember the specifics but one issue had to do with corrupt fonts.  Have you tried creating a new portal completely?  How about on a new layout?  Have you ever ran Recover on a copy of that file and see if it still breaks?

added: I won't bother testing since I'm using precisely same FM/OS as Michael.

I agree completely though, that filtering a portal is not a good idea with many records.  

Edited by LaRetta

Great memory LaRetta! It is a different portal, but what a coincidence that the issue occurred after an upgrade.

I've tried a brand new portal and tables etc but no luck.

For now I have replaced:
PatternCount ( ¶ & Clients::multikey_Cloud_Machines & ¶  ; ¶ &  Machines::ID & ¶ )
with:
not IsEmpty ( FilterValues ( Home_Clients::multikey_Cloud_Machines ; Home_Machines::ID ))

This has fixed it, though you can still see a delay when the popover is being closed. If it comes up again I will implement a multikey field relationship, the multikey field being updated on record entry.

Thank you both for your help!

It has crashed a few times (far less frequently however).

I have gone for the global multikey field option, party populated by ExecuteSQL. Filter criteria is now only user defined.

This topic is 1600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.