Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Send Mail Error in all x64 versions from FM16 to FM19

This topic is 864 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I get the below error every time I call the send mail call. It locks me and the only way out is to kill Filemaker client. I get this error for years now since FM 16 on all the x64 versions. Switch To..., Retry, and X do not work as it keeps looping.

Up to now I was able to get around it because I was using the x32 version where the error does not happen.

Now I am moving to FM 19 as the FM 16 version has an EOL Oct-2020.

The FM 19 version comes only on x64 and I have no way avoiding it anymore. I thought that this will be fixed by now but apparently is not.

Image preview

I'm assuming yo use Outlook?  Did you also upgrade Outlook to its 64-bit version?

For future-proofing your solution: consider integrating with your email service's APIs instead of going through the email client or relying on SMTP.

Some of the reasons are explained here: https://www.soliantconsulting.com/blog/microsoft-graph-api-filemaker-one/

Wim, my mistake. The outlook on the WIN10 is 32bit.

My temporary solution is I will use Server 19 with Client 18. Client 18 has a 32 and a 64 bit version.

Thanks again for you help. You are very nice. You solved me the DB files Open issue which now allows me to use Server 19.

Thanks

You can switch to MBS FileMaker Plug-in for sending emails.

If you like to send via Outlook, please check our new WinSendMail functions in our plugin. They can send via Outlook, Thunderbird or other MAPI clients, independent of 32/64bit issues and with a few more options. see Send emails via Outlook

• 1 year later...
On 6/10/2020 at 11:56 AM, Wim Decorte said:

What's the main reason for wanting to interact with the email client instead of directly with the service back-end?

This is an old one, but I'm going to be upgrading from FM17 x32 to FM19 x64, it was in my intention to redeploy Office x64 too because on the email issue.

We use on site AD and exchange server, I use some send email from the server, but sometime (like quotes attachment) it needs to be sent by the user that will fill the email with any information deem necessary to the customer... I know I can use a card window with a global field to enter email body, etc and then send it via the server.

Unless FM19 is different, I think FMS19 send email is still SMTP ? So I don't get the concept of your email API, does onsite 2019 Exchange server have this API ?

And we connect to FM using the AD, not Office365 account, is this still relevant if we don't use Microsoft web OAuth (maybe AD is the same... newbie here!! :))

PS I don't want to deal with plugins to send email.

Thanks,

It's becoming less common to have in-house exchange servers given all the attacks that have happened in the last 12-18 months.  But recent versions of exchange do offer REST APIs in a hybrid setup:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/on-premises-architectural-requirements-for-the-rest-api/ba-p/605609

The method of authenticating into the FM solution does not matter, the integration with the APIs is independent of that.

22 minutes ago, Wim Decorte said:

It's becoming less common to have in-house exchange servers given all the attacks that have happened in the last 12-18 months.  But recent versions of exchange do offer REST APIs in a hybrid setup:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/on-premises-architectural-requirements-for-the-rest-api/ba-p/605609

The method of authenticating into the FM solution does not matter, the integration with the APIs is independent of that.

Thanks, I'll have a look at it, but when you already have your licences !! and many other stuff that we have can't connect to an online mail server (copier, old fax application, etc !!) That's why the software industry is a billion-dollar business, you keep feeding it with new version and licences that require you to keep upgrading one after another, but for a small business, it was always a better investment to buy licence and keep them for a long time, and do a switch over all at once every "x" years then trying to keep it up every year,

As always, thanks for your help

19 hours ago, JF Fortier said:

but for a small business, it was always a better investment to buy licence and keep them for a long time

I'm not convinced, not these days and not with something like a mail server.  I think it may be a very narrow definition of cost here that only looks at the licensing.  Factor in the cost of a breach and it is a totally different picture.

If you have time, look at some of the videos from the 2020 RSA conference (or the short version linked through the blog post here https://www.soliantconsulting.com/blog/microsoft-graph-api-filemaker-one/).  The level of protection and AI/ML-powered detection you can get from a service provider is simply not achievable for a small business on their own. And these old protocols (SMTP, POP, IMAP) are under huge constant attack. 

This topic is 864 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.