Script for finding upcoming Birthdays etc

This topic is 4792 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm trying to create a button that lists all client records where their birthday is due within x days. I.E. Press the button and there appears a list of clients who's birthdays fall within the next 30 days. I'm sure it's been done a hundred times, but the method has changed in FM7 and I'm stuck. I would appreciate any help from you gurus out there!

You can do this at least 2 ways.

1) With a convention find script would look something like this:

Enter Find Mode [ ]

Go to Layout that has Birthday on it

Insert Calculated Result [ A::Birthday; GetAsText ( Get ( CurrentDate ) ) & "..." & GetAsText ( Get ( CurrentDate ) + 30 ) ]

[ Select ] Perform Find [ ]

2) By a relationship:

Make 2 unstored calculated fields This Day = Get ( CurrentDate ) & Thirty Days = Get ( CurrentDate ) + 30.

Make a self relationship to a TO of the same table This Day <= Birthday and Thirty Days >= Birthday

Script is now go to related record [show]

RalphL's methode only finds people who were born in that given range of dates, but I think you really need to find people who are more than 1 years old, so ...

A simple, easy to understand way is to create 2 calc fields:

cMonth = Month(Birthdate)

cDay = Day(Birthdate)

then whe you want people who have a birthdate on a give month and day just search those fields.

C.

It would be hard to find people that haven't been born. You can make a calculated field MonthDay = 100 * Month(Birthdate) + Day(Birthdate) and use in the find or in the relationship. You will have modify the relationship or the Insert Calculated Result.

Note: FM7 does not require Insert Calculated Result, converting dates to text, or going to a layout without the field on it.

Enter Find Mode [ ]

Set Field [datefield; date1 & "..." & date2]

Perform Find [ ]

is valid.

• 2 months later...

Lets see if I'm understanding you correctly.

You want to find Birthday for a person that hasn't been born yet, in a year that started yet?

No wonder your scipt is problematic.

Lee

wink.gif

Hi Orlando,

I think what we see above is a way to do this by calculating month and day from the birthdate, and searching on that.

But I would try this with a relationship using DayOfYear(Birthdate) for the match field and a multi-key of upcomming DayOfYears for the parent key:

ParentKey (calculation, text result) =

DayOfYear(status(currentdate)) & par.gif &

DayOfYear(status(currentdate)) + 1 & par.gif &

DayOfYear(status(currentdate)) + 2 & par.gif &

DayOfYear(status(currentdate)) + 3 & par.gif &

case(DayOfYear(status(currentdate)) > 364, 1 & par.gif) &

case(DayOfYear(status(currentdate)) > 363, 2 & par.gif) &

case(DayOfYear(status(currentdate)) > 362, 3 & par.gif) &

I image there are prettier ways to do that wrap around for seeing January birthdates in December, but that's the idea.

• 6 years later...
  • Newbies

You could also create an unstored calculation of Date( Month(DOB), Day(DOB), Year(Status(CurrentDate)) ) and perform your date range find on this field.

I realize this thread is over 6 years old, but... You saved me from going crazy with this simple solution. Thanks much for the help.

Bruce

This topic is 4792 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.