Odd Text Issue

This topic is 6607 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I've been beating away at this for a bit now, but can't seem to come up with a solution. This worked well in FM6, mind you, so something from our recent FM8 upgrade is messing with this.

We have a simple text field that uses a calculation to display a "warning" of sorts on a form. Nothing complicated, just a basic "If FieldA = 'yes' set field B to 'Warning'" type statement.

Nothing appears there now, which is normally fixable except that when you click the field in Browse mode, the text is there. Click off the field, "poof" it disappears. I've made sure it was "brought to the front", I've checked text colors, etc. but the simple fact is that the text is THERE, it's just not showing up. I can add an embossment or a fill color to the field, and the actual field is visible then, but the data in it is not.

What am I missing here?

It's always the little things that getcha.

Somehow, in the conversion, the calculated field was changed to store as a number. So, it only makes sense that it wasn't displaying a text message.

Switched it to store as text and it appeared.

It's always the things you would have NEVER thought to check.

Thanks for your help, raybaudi.

I've been beating away at this for a bit now, but can't seem to come up with a solution. This worked well in FM6, mind you, so something from our recent FM8 upgrade is messing with this.

We have a simple text field that uses a calculation to display a "warning" of sorts on a form. Nothing complicated, just a basic "If FieldA = 'yes' set field B to 'Warning'" type statement.

Nothing appears there now, which is normally fixable except that when you click the field in Browse mode, the text is there. Click off the field, "poof" it disappears. I've made sure it was "brought to the front", I've checked text colors, etc. but the simple fact is that the text is THERE, it's just not showing up. I can add an embossment or a fill color to the field, and the actual field is visible then, but the data in it is not.

What am I missing here?

Is the warning field aligned flush right or centered? If either, that's the same problem I've been experiencing (neighboring post). Work-around using center or right align tabs in a left aligned element or just left align it.

Another possible cure is to make sure the calculation is not stored, "calculate only when needed." May be a combination of both.

There also appear to be a number of problems that trace back to having converted from an earlier version of the files (that is, non 8 versions). I've run ino this a lot. Now I export data from the old file(s) into a FileMaker file, then use that file to import tables and scripts from the old file(s) and make new layouts. This has helped some.

FileMaker (we still love you) is not being helpful in attending to this type of issue as far as I'm concerned. :

This topic is 6607 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.