FM Pro 8 On W2K3 Term Serv.

This topic is 6429 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have no experience with File Maker Server or File Maker Pro so I am hoping someone can help me here?

All our File Maker work is done by a 3rd party interstate all I do is follow there instructions for installing their FM apps.

Anyway, here's the problem. We have replaced our Windows 2000 Terminal Server with a new 2003 Terminal Server. Users can connect to the FM app running on/under File Maker Server (on a different server to the Terinal Server, called Appsserver) but the resources used on the 2003 server is 3 times that used on the 2000 server.

All Filemaker components, File Maker Pro, Server, the RDP client software etc are the same versions on both servers.

For example, when someone starts Filemaker Pro and connects to the Filemaker app on Appsserver via the 2000 TS they are shown within task manager to be consuming approx. 20MB of memory. When they connect via the 2003 TS they are shown to be consuming approx. 65MB.

File Maker Pro version 8.0v3 on Windows 2003 Terminal Services.

File Maker Server version 8.0v2 on Windows 2003 Server.

I need to fix this ASAP. All help greatly appreciated.

siringo,

I'm not sure I understand your configuration. When everything is said-and-done you should have two (2) different servers:

1. An application server running Windows 2003 Server, Filemaker Pro 8.0x, and Terminal Services.

2. A database server running Windows 2003 Server, Filemaker Pro SERVER version 8.0x

One server hosts the Filemaker APPLICATION and the other hosts the DATABASE(s) right?

Clients connect via to the APPLICATION server via RDC (Remote Desktop Connection) correct? Clients never connect directly to the DATABASE server right? Lastly, you do not have Filemaker SERVER and Filemaker PRO (the application) installed on the same server right?

And just to be clear, you feel that Filemaker Pro is consuming too much memory on your APPLICATION server now that it is running Windows 2003. Do I understand the problem?

I'm running a similiar configuration. I didn't notice any difference in memory usage when we went upgraded fronm 2000 to 2003. I only have 3 people on right now and they are consuming roughly 41M, 39M, and 20M respectively.

• Newbies

You've got it in a nutshell Ted. That is totally correct.

All I can think of is that FileMaker Pro was not installed properly on the TS and each user is pulling a full image/copy of the app, hence the large amount of memory used by each user.

I think I'll have to uninstall FM pro on the TS and reinstall it as part of the investigation.

• Newbies

I've just finished running up 2003 Terminal Server on the old 2000 Terminal Server hardware. I installed things like, anti virus app, winzip, adobe etc as well as File Maker Pro 8.

I set this server (I'll call it TS2003-2) up as per the other 2003 terminal server (which I'll call TS2003-1) that replaced our old 2000 terminal server.

I connected to TS2003-2 from a desktop PC via an RDP connection, ran the File Maker app from a shortcut on TS session desktop, opened task manager on TS2003-2 looked at the memory consumed by the FileMaker Pro.exe and it is just the same as on TS2003-1.

So what I have is...

When I run the FileMaker app on the old 2000 Terminal Server, FileMaker Pro.exe consumes approx 20MB of memory, but on the 2003 Terminal Servers it consumes approx 65 MB of memory.

The number of handles and threads is about the same on both 2000 and 2003 servers.

All help greatly appreciated.

This topic is 6429 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.