Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 6400 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

ok, I am new to filemaker, although the concept is not confusing to me as I have a tutorial on dvd that has greatly enhanced my knowledge of filemaker. I have a tracker that is in excel format, it has to do with Cub Scouts. Cub Scouts have 4 different groups and inside each group they all have different achievements or electives that they must complete. I have found some trackers and they do great but since I have this I am looking at developing a database to track and print each Cub Scout progress.

My issue is each achievement has a certain amount of things that must be done. If one does say Artist, then there may be 10 things under it but only the top 3 and 4 of the rest must be done to complete the achievement. I have already got my first few tables set, with scout input and parent input, it is just getting these achievements in and linking what they have completed to the browse mode and it being independent of each scout, as each scout completes different things at different levels.

Any help would be appreciated, and if anyone already has something that I could expand on please contact me.

Aaah,

Complex design logic.

Having been a cub leader and a First Class scout, I'll take a stab.

Tables needed:

*Scouts - Each has a Parents relationship.

*Parents - Each have a minimum of 1 Scout.

*Level - Each has a set achievement & elective total to be met (Global).

*Achievement / Elective - Each has Parent, Leader, and data requirements (Global).

*Achievement Record - Each has a Scout associated and entry fields for Parents and Leader with checkbox fields for completion of each part of the associated Achievement. This means that you can have an auto-value checkbox list based on the data in the Achievement table.

The reason you use tables (not lists) for the Levels and Achievements Globals is to allow for related entries and calculations. Some would argue, but this simplifies reporting, updates, and changes dramatically.

Now you can have a portal which looks at related individual Scout Achievements. Levels can be automatically calculated.

There's the starting structure.

What do you think?

This topic is 6400 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.