New Record with French Accent (é, ç, etc.)

This topic is 4832 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Using PHP I am successfully able to receive posted form input of special characters such as é or ç and store them in php session variables, and even output them back to the browser. but as soon as I try to do a FileMaker new record command, if any of the fields are to contain accents such as this, I get nothing but a completely empty record in FileMaker.

How should I work around this?

The newAddCommand executes with NO ERRORS. It just doesn't work!;-)

Some new information...

First accented character in a newAddCommand... starting with the accented character it will fail to write that and the remainder of that field to the record.

Second accented character in a newAddCommand (in same or different field)... the field in which the second accented character is in will not be written at all, and neither will any fields after it (based on sequence in the newAddCommand).

Edited by Guest

I made a simple sample page to demonstrate the problem...

https://www.australianbagcompany.com/test/

Try entering regular text into the fields, then try special characters such as é

Put in one and the remainder of the field won't write, try a few and the whole remainder of the record won't write.

This is rather irritating because many of my french-speaking customers will put in orders, get no errors, and all I'll get is a totally blank record!

SOLUTION!

I needed to include in the header.

I am surprised this fixed it because (at least it seemed that...) the correct data was going into the php variables. Why would this declaration affect the writing of the php variables to the FileMaker record, which would occur on the php server?

Anyway it works now and I'm happy!

• 1 year later...
  • Newbies

SOLUTION!

I needed to include <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8"> in the header.

I had it in my html page and it still didn't work. Any the suggestions? It's definitely a PHP problem, but I don't know how to address it, using PHP v5.33

This topic is 4832 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.