Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Text column size limit?

This topic is 4641 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I run queries on a FileMaker instance running on a mac from a .Net application using ODBC. The FM administrator has just upgraded to FM 11. After the upgrade, one record was causing this error:

System.Data.Odbc.OdbcException 	at System.Data.Odbc.OdbcConnection.HandleError(OdbcHandle hrHandle, RetCode retcode)  at

System.Data.Odbc.OdbcDataReader.GetData(Int32 i, SQL_C sqlctype, Int32 cb, Int32& cbActualOut) 	at System.Data.Odbc.OdbcDataReader.internalGetString(Int32 i) 	at

System.Data.Odbc.OdbcDataReader.GetValue(Int32 i, TypeMap typemap) 	at System.Data.Odbc.OdbcDataReader.GetValue(Int32 i) 	at

System.Data.Odbc.DbCache.AccessIndex(Int32 i) 	at System.Data.Odbc.OdbcDataReader.GetValue(Int32 i) 	at System.Data.Odbc.OdbcDataReader.get_Item(String

value) 	at Performance..ctor(OdbcDataReader r)

I pinned it down to a Text field.  When we shortened the contents of that field to 2047 characters or less, the error would not occur.  

I'm doing a very basic query:

string cmd = "select \"Long Blurb"\ from \"Table1\"";

Once I have my OdbcDataReader, I try to pull the data out.

if (r["Long Blurb"] != null)

{

_blurb = Convert.ToString(r["Long Blurb"]);

}

If the Text field in FileMaker has more than 2047 characters, I get the ODBC exception above. The odd part is that the FM admin used the same ODBC driver to export the record to excel and did not experience a character limit issue.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this may be?

This topic is 4641 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.