Import mystery dialog box ?

This topic is 4067 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using FM adv 12 03.

I created a runtime version of my program. 

One of it's features uses the FILE SAVE AS to create a backup version of the program.

When I import a previously saved Programsaved.fmpur file, I get a dialog box that says:

"Importing from:  Programsaved.fmpur

Records remaining 82567

Huh? 

Everything works fine but I only have 61 records and as you might guess it takes a 'looooooong' time

to supposedly import 82567 records.

At the end of the import process, there are the expected 61 records.

PS.  When I do the same thing from the development environment, everything is quick and only 61 records come over.

PSS. I just ran it again from runtime.  This time the counter started at 92586    What's this about?

Waz going on?

Puzzled

Ron

Waz going on is you may need to read the dialog message more carefully.

The import message does not always mention records and records remaining.

Often it shows "bytes remaining" and I suspect that is what you are seeing.

Waz going on is you may need to read the dialog message more carefully.

The import message does not always mention records and records remaining.

Often it shows "bytes remaining" and I suspect that is what you are seeing.

post-72145-0-67890000-1364448382_thumb.j

Not the case.  I am looking at the screen it says "RECORDS REMAINING:    91346"

When importing a previously Save As ... file in OSX, from a runtime version,  I also get the same dialog box.

What is it about runtime that makes a previous 'save as...' version of my app, when it is imported, act in such a weird way. 

(The latest weird behavior is:  While in Windows runtime, I saved a version of my 61 record file and over wrote a previously saved file.  The resulting file is almost 2 x the size. 

What is that about?)

I uninstalled and reinstalled FM 12.  It still did it (produce the info box above). 

Then I ran debug and saw that FM was getting hung up at a global table import.  So, I added and removed the "show dialog' box several times until FM finally remembered the Source table. 

And the problem disappeared.  Weird....

UPDATE:  Yes it is 'weird'.  It is back.  Here is the latest.  In OSX and in the development mode, I use Save Copy As.... to save a copy of the app to my desktop.

I then run my Import Script and select that desktop::SavedFile.  It imports without a hitch.

Then I produce a runtime of my app called TestMembers.  I start TestMembers and use the same IMPORT SCRIPT and the same desktop source file as before.  This time I get the message :

post-72145-0-20724500-1364620592_thumb.j

As if this isn't weird enough... My 61 record application is importing over 1 million records!  And if I press the STOP button the script seems to process just fine.

So, what is causing this message box? ???  (The next time I try and import it will probably show 1,025,000 records and then 1,050,000 etc....)

HELP! 

R

Got it... I think.

Turns out FM was right.  I *was* importing tens of thousands of records... all from the global table. 

I had neglected to delete the Global table PRIOR to importing it.  That meant that 1 record was copied and became 2.... 2 became 4... 4 became 8.... 8 became 16.....etc. 

Once I deleted all records in the global target table I still could not get the source table to import.... grrrrr....  Then I realized I needed a record set to import into.  So I just did a New Record/Request.

The import script looks like:

Go to Layout ["GlobalNew (Global)]

Import Records [No Dialog; $$path' Add; DOS OEM]

Delete All Records [No Dialog]    // deletes all records but since they are global they 'persist' in the table

New Record /Request    // makes the global values 'useable'

This sure does seem to work.  Is my reasoning sound?

Ron

This topic is 4067 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.