Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Uploading file causes Recover Log?

LaRetta

This topic is 3783 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

OSX 10.9 with FMS13.0v1 installed and using FMPA13.  I make sure all copies of FileMaker are closed and no files are served.  I make sure everything FM is removed from Activity Monitor.  Then with clean process, I place a file on my desktop and begin the test:

I open FMPA13 directly (not by selecting an FM file) and select Security and 'upload to server'.  Whether I specify 'automatically upload' or not does not matter, the problem happens regardless.  The problem?  FM generates a Recover log and places it in same location as the file I upload.  It only contains two entries checking for consistency but it bothers me a great deal.  Normally seeing a Recover log will cause me to trash my current version and revert to backup.  And in fact when I first used FMS13, that is what I did ... I trashed my good version thinking something had gone wrong and it was somehow open at the time and got corrupted.  BUT IT DIDN'T.

Because of this issue, I have begun to copy my solution to another location and upload the COPY instead of the original.  And then I delete the copy and the bogus Recover log generated so I do not worry if I see it later.

Keep in mind that this file I uploaded is NOT open.  And I do not understand why FM even checks it.  All I can think is that it is checked to be sure it uploads a good copy but it freaks me out.

Ideas on why this happens would be appreciated.   :-)

Hi David, 

I've never tested on the same machine before!  I wish they would name it something other than Recover since this would be the only time, AFAIK, that it would be safe to trust a file which produces it. 

Thank you for responding! 

Hi LaRetta,

When FileMaker runs a Consistency check,  it doesn't produce a new file,  just checks the current one and creates the log file.   So it looks like with the new upload process running through FIleMaker Pro (advanced ),  runs a consistency check as part of the upload process which creates the recover log.

In 12 the consistency check was done by server,  so you could look in the server logs for the result.  I haven't run into it yet,  but if it failed the consistency check,  I'm fairly sure you would see an Error and the file would not be uploaded.

Bruce

Hi Bruce  

Seeing a Recover Log (working locally) indicates the file was improperly closed (unless I specifically run Recover or Consistency Check) so that is what threw me.  I'm okay with it overall after my initial panic.

It's better to have a Log when unnecessary than not have one when critical. Thank you for your feedback. :-)

Seeing a Recover Log (working locally) indicates the file was improperly closed (unless I specifically run Recover or Consistency Check) 

Not necessarily.  Opening earlier versions can produce the same result.  What does the Recover Log actually say?

Steven

Hi Steven,

I know the file wasn't damaged and thank you.  The Recover Log only indicated consistency check.  It was just a shock to see it when working locally in a single file and NOT have it mean trouble for the file.  I didn't know about opening in prior versions, thank you - I've never done that.  Even recently I can't open 12 and 13 simultaneously.

As said, I'm okay with it now that I know it can happen.  It was just surprising, that's all.   :-)

This topic is 3783 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.