Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Popup Menu on Global field not displaying correctly all the time

This topic is 3681 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have encountered a problem that I can't explain or work around.

I am using FileMaker Pro Advanced 13. 

I have a global field on a table (glbClients).  I also have a value list (Client Code and Name) that displays the Client Code as the first field and the Client name as the second field.

I have a layout based on the Client table.  On this layout, I am displaying the glbClients Field with a Popup Menu that uses the "Client Code and Name" popup menu.

There is a On Modify script trigger on the glbClient field that runs a script that finds the appropriate client code.

The problem:

The Global field with the Popup Menu is not always displaying correctly.  Sometimes (not always), it is also showing party of the Client Name (the second field in the value list). 

The value being stored in the glbClients field is correct and the trigger is working properly. 

This is only happening on the glbClients field that has the Popup Menu on it.

I placed the glbClients field on the same layout as an edit box and it is displaying correctly.

I have attached a snapshot of what I am seeing.

post-102926-0-60584800-1395410862_thumb.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I have encounterd a similar problem, when creating a popup menu the valuelist has some extreme trouble with showing calculated data.

My popup menu is suposed to read a calculated field "firstname" & "lastname" and it just appears question marks all over...

i tried to put "firstname" as the first specefied field and "lastname" as second, the popup menu shows

the data correctly, but when pressing avalue only the "firstname" shows up on the field i sent the data too.

Value lists seems to have a problem with calculation fields.

I made my project in swedish so "Enamn" = "lastname" | Fnamn = "firstname"

and "C_namn" = the calculation of first and lastname (Fnamn & " " & Enamn)

post-110789-0-94192300-1396440939_thumb.

post-110789-0-22556400-1396440941_thumb.

• Newbies

What is the result type of the calculation?

The calculation should be "Lasse Holmberg" (firstname & " " & lastname)  and it works just fine in the contact list-portal.

Only the popup menu and dropdown list is the only elements/objects that refuses to work with the calculated data.

And the question mark higher up in the images i posted should be "Lasse".

When i made so it worked properly, by puting speciefied field 1 as "firstname" and specefied field 2 as "lastname" it all showed up like it should in the popup menu, but when selecting a value

the value of "firstname" was the only one to be sent to my merged labels and lists.

it seems like the Specefied value 2 can't be sent !?

EDIT:

oh now i connected my brain and saw "result type" properly...

the result of the calculation is Number

THE RESULT OUTPUT WAS NUMBER !!!

oh god nowi feel silly

Thanks anyway :D

Edited by Maaartola

BTW, it seems like you are using contact name as the matchfield for the Contacts -< Orders relationship. That's not a good idea: names can change sometimes - even as a result of simply correcting a typo. You should use an immutable, meaningless ContactID - for example, an auto-entered serial number.

This topic is 3681 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.