Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Creating a schedule

This topic is 3667 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm still working on my schedule solution. So far I have created "Schedule", "Person" and "Shift" -tables that are joined through other tables such as: "PersonShift" and so on...

I have connected my persons to the right shift and my shift to the right date in my schedule. My problem is now how to add the right persons to each date. To add persons and dates to shifts was fairly easy with your help but now it is a whole other thing. My table looks like this:

__kp_ScheduleShiftPerson    _kf_Schedule    _kf_Shift    _kf_Person

1                                         1                      2

2                                         2                      3        

3                                         3                      4

4                                         4                      1                

5                                         5                      2

I know in theory what to do but not an easy way to do it. I don't want to manually copy each date and enter every single person in the group that works that day. It would take forever!

Please help!!

All tips and tricks are very helpful!

I'm still working on my schedule solution. So far I have created "Schedule", "Person" and "Shift" -tables that are joined through other tables such as: "PersonShift" 

What's the difference between 'Schedule' and 'PersonShift'? A structure like

People --< Schedule >-- Shifts,

where a Schedule record holds a person_FK, a date and start/end time, lets you derive all other data – e.g. all Schedule records from this week constitute this week's schedule etc. …  

Normalizing your data is very much desirable, but you can take that too far and create more work (and data) than is necessary.

Strictly speaking, unless you have more to say about a shift than its number, you wouldn't even need a Shifts table; OTOH, it's a convenient way to define and store currently applicable start and end times and look them up, instead of using calculations in your script, assuming that you want to store them in the Schedule table to be preserved as 'historical' data.

How exactly you would go about populating this Schedule table depends on your workflow and your business rules, e.g. distribute the entire staff over the entire week and using the same slot each time, or changing/scrambling the slots etc. Come up with a plan and try to implement it within a script. 

To add persons and dates to shifts was fairly easy with your help […]

Out of curiosity: that's your first post, so who are you addressing here? 

This topic is 3667 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.