Can I use MirrorSync with Externally Stored container fields?

This topic is 2559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi There,

I have a database that my company uses for inspections. It is running very successfully, syncing data between iPads and the main database using MirrorSync. All of the initial difficulties we experienced have been fixed and for the most part, we have a very smooth solution.

The problem I have now is the database size. During an inspection, we need to take photos of non compliant items. As the sites are quite large, there could be up to 700 tenancies in any one site, and in each of those tenancies, there may be anything up to 7 non compliant items. As you can imagine this makes the database expand very very quickly, and it is currently sitting at 5.5Gb  :hmm:

What I want to be able to do is move all of the container fields to external storage. The only problem is, if I do this, I am not sure that MirrorSync will still sync all of the data. How would i best handle this situation to make sure I can still sync the required images and still manage to keep the size of the actual database file down?

There are a couple of general options, without knowing your specific use case

1) Start filing closed jobs to an external storage, that way you can run your operational database as pr today

2) Use super container, not sure how this will sync

3) Use web viewer with some selv made system, I have between 500GB - 1TB of data in such a repository, will require access

4) Others?

On the server side, you can simply switch to externally stored containers, and everything will continue to work for all of your existing offline users - they won't be able to tell the difference, and MirrorSync doesn't care either way.

You may run into an issue when distributing new offline files, however. Let me ask a few questions:

1) Are your offline users running a copy of the server file, or have you created a separate mobile file for them to use?

2) If it's a copy of the server file, are you distributing an empty clone, or a full copy of the server file?

Hi Jesse,

I mean a full clone of the database at that present time with all records, including photos that are in containers. This is why it is such a big issue. the database is far too large to be used effectively on a regular basis from the iPad running a remote database.

I need a way to store the photos externally on the server, but I also need the ability to sync the photos that are taken on the iPad on site as these make up part of the inspection. 

does that make sense?

Yes, I understand now. I was confused because typically the word "clone" implies that it's empty (no records).

There is an extra step that needs to happen any time you're copying a FileMaker database with externally stored container fields to an iOS device. This is a FileMaker requirement, not a MirrorSync one. We've documented the process here: 

http://docs.360works.com/index.php/MirrorSync_advanced_topics#Does_MirrorSync_sync_external_container_fields.3F

Sorry Jesse, Just going through that info, and I have a question. If the self contained file has all data available to it, does this mean that the file will have all of the container field files written into the actual self contained database?

If this file will have all of the data stored internally, would it not work out to be the same size on the iPad?

This topic is 2559 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 360Works
      How to Build FileMaker Web Apps for High Traffic using MySQL Backend and 360Works MirrorSync
      Why Sync FileMaker and MySQL?
      FileMaker is the best tool for rapid application development, but it is not the most reliable or scalable option for high traffic web sites. MySQL provides that reliability and scalability, but can't compare to FileMaker for development productivity and user friendliness.
      360Works MirrorSync bridges this gap, letting you use each tool for its best purpose. Quickly create layouts, scripts, and schema in FileMaker Pro, test and refine them, then use MirrorSync to publish all your record data to MySQL and keep both databases in sync moving forward. You can use industry-standard tools and frameworks (or hire from a vast talent pool) to create highly reliable and scalable web apps.
      In the event that FileMaker Server is down or rebooted for any reason (such as software upgrades), your MySQL web app will continue running and serving users. MirrorSync will detect when FileMaker Server comes back online and bring both databases back in sync.
      Video Demonstration
      This video, narrated by Junior Perez of 360Works, takes you on a step-by-step walk-through of how to sync between FileMaker Server and MySQL. Junior demonstrates how to start with a completely empty MySQL Server, create the database and tables, and set up an auto-scheduled sync to run every 60 seconds. The process is the same for any other JDBC-compatible database such as SQL Server, Oracle, or PostgreSQL. The license price for syncing one FileMaker Server with any one of these databases is $1,800, with discounts available for educational and non-profit organizations.
      If you would like to involve 360Works in configuring your sync, or in creating a web application backed by MySQL, please contact us for consulting and development assistance.

Read More on MirrorSync or Download Now!
      360Works MirrorSync     Stay updated with 360Works

• By Richard Carlton
      In this Livestream, we're discussing containers! Discover the different ways to optimize your external container data storage on the server side, as well as how to do a "split" container data setup! Future live streams: https://fmtraining.tv/#LIVE 
      support@rcconsulting.com
      www.fmtraining.tv
      www.fmstartingpoint.com
      www.rcconsulting.com 

• By 360Works
      360Works 25 Year Anniversary and New Portfolio Offer
      We are celebrating 25 years in business! Thank you for your support. If you are using a FileMaker plug-in or two from 360Works, we encourage you to try the 360Works Portfolio Bundle to receive all products.
      Now through next week enjoy a 25% off sale on our Portfolio Bundle!
      You already receive 75% off the entire suite of plug-ins with the Portfolio Bundle deal being offered at $1,995, and with our 25th Anniversary Offer you get an additional 25% off, making your final cost only $1,496.25!
      Use code: 360is25 at checkout. (Online orders only, discounts cannot be combined, new portfolio)
      This offer is for new Portfolio Bundle purchases only and will be on now, through next week, ending Friday, April 9, 2021.
      Already own a product or two from 360Works? You can apply your licenses to receive credit for select products upon checkout of the Portfolio Bundle.

New Website Design
      Have you noticed the new look of our website? Be sure to stop by and take a look: https://www.360works.com/products/

New Product Updates
      We recently released a new major version of the 360Works Email Plugin, to include OAuth support for Gmail and Office 365. Additionally, we released a new major version of our FileMaker Server offsite backup, 360Works SafetyNet, with improvements for increased safety, reliability, speed, ease of management and lower cost.

Case Study: MirrorSync in Africa for Promasidor 
      Learn how FileMaker synchronization happens across the continent of Africa using 360Works MirrorSync in a solution for Promasidor Food and Beverage with experience shared from Technology Professional, Serge De Pauw at Promasidor. Read the story.

• By Crawfcol
      We are relatively new to MirrorSync (6.12).  We can have a system which is syncing with no issues.  We create a new record on the FMS in a table that is synced to the Spoke (iPad).  After the iPad syncs and receives the new record, the next time the iPad tries to sync, they receive an error that there is a Duplicate ID...  
      On researching the issue, whenever we create a single record on the Hub, 2 records with the same ID are created on the Spoke with the same ID.
      This effectively breaks the sync and needs remediation by the user of the iPad by the deletion of one of the records.
    • By 34South
      I can sense the eye rolls but, I’ve just upgraded to FMS19 on a MacPro after upgrading it to Big Sur and the database container fields are reporting missing files. I have defined the alternate database folder and its associated external storage volume which was verified. Could I have the syntax wrong? I have “filemac:/System/Volumes/External Data/Container Data/“.
      “External Data” is the name of my external drive. The “Volumes” folder is of course hidden but would that matter? I’ve tried unhiding it, but to no avail.
      Should one use “%20” in lieu of spaces? Should one use the sub folder “Container Data” in the path, or is that assumed anyway?
      I’ve tried these permutations but am getting nowhere. Does one need a restart after specifying the external container path - it didn’t seem to suggest so?
  • Who Viewed the Topic

4 members have viewed this topic:
    Richard Carlton  atomikSkull  fishtech  ap_lasvegas 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.