Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Open File script step using variable as path

This topic is 3499 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi fmforums!

I'm drawing up a simple database management tool to manage multiple databases in FMP11.

Nothing fancy, just the ability to assign users to multiple databases on FMServer 11, and then run a script to add these users to the assigned databases.

I have created the following fields in my database table:

Filename

ExportFilename

SvrLocation

WinLocation

MacLocation

on the basis that the database filename would be recorded under filename and the full path to it would be recorded under WinLocation - if stored on a PC, MacLocation, if stored on a Mac and SvrLocation if stored on a server [just covering the bases]

The script step that I'm having issue with is: Open File

I was under the impression that Open File would allow me to provide a variable path similar to the Export File Script step. 

In that you can do:

Set Variable $path = Database::MacLocation & Database::ExportFilename

Export File using variable $path

Is there some way that I could reproduce this flexibilty in the Open Path script step so that I wouldn't have to re-edit the script everytime a new database is created?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The Open File script step requires a defined External Data Source, so you won't be able to make that work. However, you could use Open URL.

That said, I can see the potential utility of this if you're building a file launcher. However, if your need is to manage user access, I'd highly encourage you to delve into external authentication.

This topic is 3499 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.