This topic is 2120 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi community, this is my very 1st post as I just registered and I am a newbie to FM, so please bear with me. I am creating an inventory database for a small bar. When for instance products like (1 litre wine bottles) comes into stock I enter the items into stock and it added the amount of bottles that was purchased fine. Now when it is time to sell wine to a customer for instance, it is sold as glasses of let's say (X) amount from a bottle, but not the whole bottle is used since it is divided into several glasses of wine that in total are equal to the 1 litre. How do I calculate the (X) amount that was sold from a bottle until it's equal to 1 litre,therefore the stock is now updated to 1 bottle out of stock, instead of showing that an entire bottle was moved out of stock. I hope I explained it right. If that topic was already discussed, please point me to it. Thank you and have a great week-end

Not sure what exactly your question is. Obviously, you need to know how much wine is served in a glass. If it's, say, 125 ml, then you can multiply the total number of glasses sold by 0.125 and get the total amount in litres.

If you want to know the number of whole bottles sold as glasses, use this formula =

Div ( glasses * glass capacity ; bottle capacity )

For example, 15 glasses of 125 ml (total of 1.875 l) sold out of bottles of 750 ml each is =

Div ( 15 * .125 ; .75 )

which will return 2 whole bottles.

Did you look at the Templates a.k.a. “Use a Starter Solution” files that came with the FileMaker Pro application?

Here is an article and file that I like.

Inventory Transactions by Todd Geist 

Thank you guys for your responses. Actually I did use the inventory template as a starting point, but it only gives you the option of adding to and taking from stock. In my case I need to add one more option that will divide the 1liter bottle into let's say 5 glasses sold. When you multiply the 5 glasses, then you will have the one liter bottle taken out of stock. different bottles will have different sizes and I could assign a code to each onre of them that tells me exactly how much wine (1,2, or 3 liters) each contains and how many glasses sold will equal to that amount of liters..I hope it's a little clearer and thank you for your help Mr Lee.

Not sure what exactly your question is. Obviously, you need to know how much wine is served in a glass. If it's, say, 125 ml, then you can multiply the total number of glasses sold by 0.125 and get the total amount in litres.

If you want to know the number of whole bottles sold as glasses, use this formula =

Div ( glasses * glass capacity ; bottle capacity )

For example, 15 glasses of 125 ml (total of 1.875 l) sold out of bottles of 750 ml each is =

Div ( 15 * .125 ; .75 )

which will return 2 whole bottles.

I think you understood it right but let me set an example, and please be patient with me as I try to fully understand the workings of FM. Let's say I have a bottle of wine that is 70cl and I know that is equal to 20 small glaces. I used the inventory templatewhich does not have another option for how many glaces is sold. So I played with it and added that option which does not have any calculations assigned to it yet. Where do i go from there to add all my calculations for this scenario, including assigning a code that identifies the bottle with it's size and number of glasses it contains automatically when i enter it into the system. A detail screen with examples would be greatfully appreciated for a FM dummy such as myself. Thanks in advanced and have a blessed day.

This topic is 2120 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Teilo
      So, the time has come. Runtime support is gone in 19.
      This puts me in a quandary. At my company, I have a handful of small apps that do nothing but import CSVs and print labels with barcodes on Zebra label printers, or packing slips with pictures for each item. These are one-off special purpose databases. There is no active data management. The scripts clear out the DB and import a fresh CSV on each run.
      I have tried making these applications work with Server, to no avail. I doubt anything has changed in 19.
      I can understand Claris wanting to move to an online subscription-based model, but the problem is that the server version is not at feature parity with the desktop client for certain essential things I need, like printing to a label printer, or exporting PDFs with images that come from a folder full of PNG files that change on each run.
      I have some time, obviously, but version 18 will not run forever, especially if Apple's shenanigans continue. Is Claris listening, or should I just assume that this is a lost cause?
    • By Guy_Smith
      This should be easy, but my brain just won't cooperate!
      I'm moving a bunch of stuff and want to inventory what is in each moving container.  I have a very simple parent-child relationship with the parent record having the container number and category of parts/equipment/supplies and the child records describe each piece of equipment in the container.  I have a portal with the child records showing for each container, but want to put anatto-entered item number for each piece that has the container number followed by a dash and then followed by a serialized number for each item in that particular container.  For example, I would have container 1 labeled "Glassware" and Container 2 labeled "Chemicals".  In Container 1's portal I'd like to see:
      Item    Description          Qty
      1-1      Beakers, 500ml    4
      1-2      Beakers, 250 ml   2
      and in Container 2's portal I'd like to see:
      Item    Description          Qty
      2-1      Potassium           4 g
      2-2      Sodium                26 g
      I'd like to auto-fill the item numbers, but can't figure out how to reset the serialization for each parent record.
      Any help is greatly appreciated.
      Thanks and keep yourselves safe!

• By Rich
      Greets, all:
      I'm using this calculation--in a parent table in a field temporarily named 'Temp'--to grab course numbers from the course_number field in a related/child table:
      UniqueValues ( List ( ASSIGNMENT_COURSE::Course_Number__lxt ) )
      (I'm using this calc because the child table contains multiple records with the same course number; it's not a key field.)
      My intent is to use six buttons--in the parent table--where each button would grab an assigned row's value using the calculation above. For example, say that the above calc has this result:
      AST-100
      EDU-100
      EDU-300
      PHY-100
      SOC-100
      TMA-001
      I want Button 1 to grab AST-100; Button 2 to grab EDU-100; Button 3 to grab EDU-300, etc.
      Mind you, I can't make a value list out of Temp because it can't be indexed.
      TIA for your help! 

• By Asu
      I know. Don't use them. But There is a simple task and a repeating field would be a quick solution.
      Field 1: a number
      Field 2: a calculated repeating field, each repetition adds the repetition number to the value of Field 1.
      Can it be done?
      Thanks
    • By TaiChi56
      I have always developed with FileMaker for windows. I have bought myself a MacBook Air and love it. So now I am using FileMaker 16 Pro advance for MAC. I know that MAC does not label their directories like windows does. So I am having problems figuring out to get the right coding to access my photos. I have a folder called "Photos" that reside on the C: drive in windows. Then I reference that folder so pictures will populate automatically when I put in a record. Here is what I have on the windows fileMaker:
      ImagePath:
      Let ( [ // Transform the contents of a container field named Images to text ImageRef = GetAsText ( ImagePath); Photos = Position ( ImageRef; "/"; 1; PatternCount ( ImageRef; "/")) ]; Middle ( ImageRef; Photos + 1; Length ( ImageRef ) - Photos ) ) images:
      "imagewin:/C:/Photos/" & Film::title & ".jpg" Then I go into Import folder and point to the folder all the photos are in. The problem I have now is how to point to that folder in "imagewin", is their an alternative called imagemac, then I could put in Macintosh HD/Users/patricks/Documents.  The folder is in the Document folder, called Photos. Thank you for any help.
  • Who Viewed the Topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.