Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Inventory Database calculation

This topic is 3473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi community, this is my very 1st post as I just registered and I am a newbie to FM, so please bear with me. I am creating an inventory database for a small bar. When for instance products like (1 litre wine bottles) comes into stock I enter the items into stock and it added the amount of bottles that was purchased fine. Now when it is time to sell wine to a customer for instance, it is sold as glasses of let's say (X) amount from a bottle, but not the whole bottle is used since it is divided into several glasses of wine that in total are equal to the 1 litre. How do I calculate the (X) amount that was sold from a bottle until it's equal to 1 litre,therefore the stock is now updated to 1 bottle out of stock, instead of showing that an entire bottle was moved out of stock. I hope I explained it right. If that topic was already discussed, please point me to it. Thank you and have a great week-end

Not sure what exactly your question is. Obviously, you need to know how much wine is served in a glass. If it's, say, 125 ml, then you can multiply the total number of glasses sold by 0.125 and get the total amount in litres.

If you want to know the number of whole bottles sold as glasses, use this formula =

Div ( glasses * glass capacity ; bottle capacity )

For example, 15 glasses of 125 ml (total of 1.875 l) sold out of bottles of 750 ml each is =

Div ( 15 * .125 ; .75 )

which will return 2 whole bottles.

Did you look at the Templates a.k.a. “Use a Starter Solution” files that came with the FileMaker Pro application?

Here is an article and file that I like.

Inventory Transactions by Todd Geist 

Thank you guys for your responses. Actually I did use the inventory template as a starting point, but it only gives you the option of adding to and taking from stock. In my case I need to add one more option that will divide the 1liter bottle into let's say 5 glasses sold. When you multiply the 5 glasses, then you will have the one liter bottle taken out of stock. different bottles will have different sizes and I could assign a code to each onre of them that tells me exactly how much wine (1,2, or 3 liters) each contains and how many glasses sold will equal to that amount of liters..I hope it's a little clearer and thank you for your help Mr Lee.

Not sure what exactly your question is. Obviously, you need to know how much wine is served in a glass. If it's, say, 125 ml, then you can multiply the total number of glasses sold by 0.125 and get the total amount in litres.

If you want to know the number of whole bottles sold as glasses, use this formula =

Div ( glasses * glass capacity ; bottle capacity )

For example, 15 glasses of 125 ml (total of 1.875 l) sold out of bottles of 750 ml each is =

Div ( 15 * .125 ; .75 )

which will return 2 whole bottles.

I think you understood it right but let me set an example, and please be patient with me as I try to fully understand the workings of FM. Let's say I have a bottle of wine that is 70cl and I know that is equal to 20 small glaces. I used the inventory templatewhich does not have another option for how many glaces is sold. So I played with it and added that option which does not have any calculations assigned to it yet. Where do i go from there to add all my calculations for this scenario, including assigning a code that identifies the bottle with it's size and number of glasses it contains automatically when i enter it into the system. A detail screen with examples would be greatfully appreciated for a FM dummy such as myself. Thanks in advanced and have a blessed day.

This topic is 3473 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.