PSOS not working on second run

This topic is 3341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

i am trying to implement Tim Dietrich "EasySync" utility to enable users to work on the system while in areas with poor connection and then sync when back to the office. I know that there is a part of this forum where people discuss only the "EasySync" but i think that my issue is somehow more related to the client - server connection and Psos than to Tims scripts as such.

The scripts are using and seam dependent on PSOS feature.

First time i installed the demo files and configured the features as per given tutorial it worked fine and processed whatever it was supposed to process.

After a few successful intentions the script suddenly stoped working giving an endless loop on any Perform on server instance of the script. I was disabling one by one "Perform on server..." script and testing in Script Debugger and it always stops on the next script that is supposed to perform on the server which pretty much tells me that this particular feature stoped working for some reason (Psos).

Why is this happening?

- Is it possible that PSOS feature gets blocked by the server after some time (the server is AWS Wndows 2012 server) or for some reason.

- Could it be just my computer (I am using a Mac for this and i also fullishly upgraded to Yosemite which brought me a lot of issues, maybe this one also has something to do with Yosemite)

You're saying that it seems to execute the PSoS but then stalls on the next script step?  Is there an error generated by the PSoS script step?  Anything in the FMS event log?

To test if it is your machine, try it on another machne; that should rule it out.

As to port blocking: I doubt it, PSoS uses the same port 5003 like the client does for other things, so if the port was blocked, the whole connection would drop.

It stops on the Psos script and stucks there, doesnt go neither backwards nor forwards, and gives no error, just looks like it is trying to perform the script forever. The little colored spinning circle shows and it is spinning which on my Mac should indicate that the processor is having issues performing the script step. I have to Force Quit FileMaker to get out of this. This is why i thought it might be something with my system.

I will try to run it from iPad and from a PC to see if it would work from there, but i would really love to get it working on the same system where i am developing so i could test everything more frequently.

• 1 month later...

I have just seen this problem with easySync and it is directly related to PSoS. The sync worked well on the desktop but when it was moved to the iPad I would get error 812 ( exceeded host maximum capacity). Because it was only occurring on the iPad it suggested to me that I was running out of Go/WebDirect web connections. The developers server licence only has one connection licence so that seemed reasonable. However, moving the hosted DB to a server with more connections did not fix it. The error is related to Perform Script on Server connections. Increasing the number of PSOS connections allowed in the server console cured the problem.

This raises the question, why does it work on the desktop? What is the difference between the iPad and the Desktop when handling PSoS?

As far as I know, the only difference between his PSoS is implemented in Go and Pro is that with Go it will require and use a concern connection. However, that being said, if EasySync is configured properly then the connection will only be opened when needed - and then immediately closed when it is not needed. The individual scripts open and close and a connection throughout the sync cycle...

On the desktop, no concurrent connection is needed / consumed.

As far as the 812 error goes, it sounds to me as if something else is holding a connection open. I would take a look at the solution to see if there are other things (relationships to tables in the hosted database, for example) that might be causing this.

-- Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies. Still working on this, find it very dificult to implement with PSoS as it does brake and it is very dificult to tell why (whish there was a script debuger for PSoS...). It looks like it runs the script once (just to give you an idea that it could work) and than blocks the server for the second attempt for some reason, than throws a coffe cup and finally ends up (after long, long time) with an error (not always the same).

This i experienced on the Demo files, that where working initially and than stoped working with no obvious reason just after i hapilly told the boss that we could go for it :). I tried to place this on the PSoS part of this forum but they pushed me back here to EasySync section. 

I am now looking into the ways to use parts of the script without PSoS to make it usable for my system (where 15-20 sales people need to sync frequently from a remote connection when on internet) it looks like this approach will get me there somehow.

Still am courious about the PSoS and why would it stop working?

Hard to say without knowing the different errors that you getting returned.  It may very well be a deployment issue where the client-to-server communication is compromised, or the server is not up to the task, or....

Milan -

You might want to setup a test that removes EasySync from the scenario. Perhaps a simple database that makes multiple remote calls to a hosted database using PSoS, and see what happens. That might make it easier to troubleshoot.

Also, it is possible to run EasySync without PSoS. You can use the standard Perform Script script step, although you'll take a performance hit as a result.

Another option, if you are feeling adventurous, is to replace the PSoS calls with XML calls. That would take some work, but it is an option. I'm looking at adding the XML option to a future version of EasySync. It would use the "Fireball" technique that I've blogged about here: http://timdietrich.me/blog/search/?q=fireball 

-- Tim

Thank you,

I will try running some simple script using PSoS and look into the logs to see what it reads.

I do feel adventurous and will look forward to see how it works with XML, but i decided to go for the traditional Perform Script option for the moment, it shouldn't take that long if they do it regularily (i hope).

This topic is 3341 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.