Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Selectable line item from portal

The Missing Man

This topic is 3407 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a master portal that lists an abundant of information.

I then want to, based on that master portal, make a selection and transfer or link info into another layout. This same information from the master portal will get used in a variety of different records.

Also the information that is transferred or linked to may change

Can someone offer the best direction to tackle this as I am not sure how to get there. Looking just to be pointed in the right direction.

Create a button in each row of the master portal (or use one of the fields, you can make that more apparent by formatting that field differently, or use all fields, or use a transparent button that spans the length of the portal), then use button setup with go to related record, or perform script with a go to related record line.

Or, you can create a script that is invoked using button setup->perform script that captures the record ID in a global variable, then change to another layout, and find that record ID. Make sure you set the variable before you change layout though.

I do this quite a lot in my work database using go to related record and stating which table / layout I want.

In one portal, I often click and get sent to the first record in the portals data rather than the one I clicked on. (once this has happened once, clicking from the portal usually work fine).

I believe this is usually due to problems with the relationships, but I've tried re-jigging them with no luck - are there any other solutions that I could try? Can I script my way round the problem?

Cheers,

Mike

OK, well I've fixed my wrong record with this script on the offending portal.

I'm sticking with "Go to related record" for all the portals that work properly though!!

Set Variable [ $PupilID; Value:Pupil_Class_Assess_Join::PupilID ]
Enter Find Mode [ ]
Go to Layout [ “Pupils” (Pupils) ]
Perform Find [ Specified Find Requests: Find Records; Criteria: Pupils::PupilID: “=$PupilID” ] [ Restore ]

This topic is 3407 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.