Best way to upload changed files to live system

rikkib

This topic is 3352 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I need to upload some files that I have modified to the Filemaker server. I have been working on a backup set of the database on my local dev machine and now would like to implement these changes to the Filemaker server. Which is the best way for me to do this so that I don't have to manually edit the files on the server to copy what I have modified? I would like to know the best practice in this situation,

As you can tell I'm very new to Filemaker but have been thrown in at the deep end and really need a little help on the best way around this problem.

Many thanks

Rikki

I need to upload some files that I have modified to the Filemaker server. I have been working on a backup set of the database on my local dev machine and now would like to implement these changes to the Filemaker server. Which is the best way for me to do this so that I don't have to manually edit the files on the server to copy what I have modified? I would like to know the best practice in this situation,

This is not specific to FM.

When you have modified the schema (tables, fields, scripts, custom functions, custom menus,...) you basically have two choices:

- make your dev copy the new production master and import all the data from the old production system

- or, redo all of your schema changes to the live system

Both approaches have their own risks and amount of work.  It's up to you to determine what is the least amount of work and the least amount of risk.

• Newbies

Thanks for the response.

So if I was to go with option 1, what is the process I need to follow to import any new data to my new schema?

For example I have modified/created layouts, fields and scripts on my dev copy and there has been new data added to the production copy scince I made the backup and made the changes. How would I get the latest data set into my new schema? Is there an import function of some description that I can use?

Sorry if these are silly questions but I've been thrown in at the deep end with Filemaker and need to get to grips with it as soon as possible.

Thanks

Rikki

This topic is 3352 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.