Server Maintenance This Week. ×

WebDirect: creation and modification timestamp issues

xochi

This topic is 3369 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I was testing my WebDirect solution, and on one computer nothing seemed to be working correctly.

It turns out that on this computer, the time was set 2 hours off.

Some of my calculations make use of Get(CurrentHostTimeStamp) and compare that to an auto-enter field which contains the Record Creation Timestamp.

It appears that under WebDirect,   Get(CurrentHostTImeStamp) returns the timestamp of the server and Get(CurrentTimeStamp) returns the timestamp of the client.   This is as expected.

Also (and this seems to be the problem), under WebDirect, an auto-enter field Creation or Modification timestamp gets evaluated using the time of the client, rather than the server.  

This seems to be a change from how it used to work in IWP solutions, where the field timestamps were always evaluated using the timezone of the Server, not the Client's WebBrowser.

I do not recall that this worked in the old IWP as you described it. CurrentTimeStamp on FileMaker Pro, FileMaker GO, and WebDirect all return the time based on the client.  The auto-enter feature, by default, enters that time value.

There are a couple of ways to make the modification time use the Server based timestamp, or more precisely the Host based timestamp.  One involves using a calculated value; the other, involves using the auto-enter field as a trigger.

Steven

Thanks, Steven.

It looks to me like in all cases (IWP, WebDirect, FM Pro) that the record creation timestamp is stored using the Server's clock time no matter what.   The difference seems to be that in WebDirect the timestamp may be interpreted with a timezone offset, whereas I'm pretty sure this was not the case in IWP -- This actually makes a lot of sense, since in IWP the vast majority of the processing was on the server, and only the results of a script were sent to the client.  

WebDirect seems to do more of the processing in the client's browser.

This topic is 3369 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.