Single Row Portal Grid Navigation

Zuke

This topic is 3298 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all,

I have been trying to create a layout with a Portal interface that mimics a typical online shopping interface.  I have created a layout that has a 9x9 grid of single row portals to display the possible buyer choices.  Each single row portal has the initial row starting at the next incremental value (1,2,3,4 and so on).  This works great except when the possible choices are less than nine but causes the following problems when the choices are more than the 9 portals.

1. I need to create a way to to select the next set of possible choices for when the possible choices exceed 9. I was planning to use arrow buttons on the bottom to scroll to the next set of items.  I have tried using Go to portal row to change the displayed record but since there is only one row that didn't work.  There doesn't seem to be a way to change the initial portal row by a script.

2. I need to figure out a way to calculate the total number of records that match the filtered result so the navigation buttons will only work (or show) when there are more than 9 choices.

3. Was hoping to find a away to hide portals when there is no record present. So if there were 6 options available the remaining three portals would be hidden.

I have attached a screen shot of layout. Hoping i can get some help or direction on where to begin.

Thanks

portal.tiff

Edited by Zuke

You need a "paged" portal. There are (at least) two previous threads on this topic:

http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/201804/
http://fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/356203/

Unfortunately, the recent forum upgrade broke these links, and I don't know what to do about that. And the demo files posted there are probably hosed, too. I don't know what to do about that, either. Perhaps the forum administration might be able to help.

Lee,

It seems that i was not able to download the files.  Thanks for the suggestions, I solved  question 2 using a found count calculation.  I guess maybe a better way to ask the questions 1 is: "is there a way to change the displayed related record in a single row portal?".  

@Zuke 

These are the two files mentioned by comment, not sure how they fit into your project, but have a look and good luck.

Ok I think I have this figured out, although not fully tested.  Here is the solution so far.  I created 9 single row portals on the page, each one starting at the initial row 1 and having just one row. I filtered the portals using a solution i found here http://www.supportgroup.com/blog/portals-without-scrollbars/ which is the easiest solution I have found so far.

I created the following script which triggers whenever a room is selected from the left hand selection portal: 

The $$PStart variables control what the initial record will be show when a new room selection is made.  This is what will control the portals for the paged control. Sorry but i haven't gotten that script all written, but I dont see that being an issue yet.  I have manually changed the script above to different initial portal rows and it seems to function fine but will withhold the cheers until i get the navigation built.

The key to the solution was the the filter applied to each portal.

Let ( 
subset=MiddleValues ( $$IDs; $$P2Start; 1 ) ;
FilterValues ( subset ; Specifications::Spec ID ) ≠ ""
)

So far so good as the filter is doing what i wanted. 

Script1.tiff

This topic is 3298 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.