Check box control

fmpnaples

This topic is 3137 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I want to create a check box that has two main items, from which a user can select one or more from one of the main items, but cannot crossover and check from both main categories.  I would prefer to keep a single field.  For example main category: "Apples" possible check boxes' red, tart, small, fresh OR "Oranges" navel, blood, tart, large.  They would be allowed to check one or more but cannot mix apples and oranges.

They would be allowed to check one or more but cannot mix apples and oranges.

What exactly do you mean by "allowed"? Do you mean it would trigger validation, or do you want the selection to be impossible?

Validation would be easy. Cancelling contradicting choices might be possible using a script triggered on modify. But it will be a lot of work and the display will be far from ideal. Why not simply use two fields - or perhaps two instances of the same field, each using a different value list?

Edited by comment

Hi fmpnaples, and welcome to the forum. 

Please update your profile to reflect what version of FileMaker you’re using, operating system, and platform.

You can do this by clicking your name at the top of the screen and choosing profile.

Edited by Lee Smith

• Newbies

Profile updated.

Relating to What exactly do you mean by "allowed"?

for example. I have check box options; A, B,C, D, E and someone can choose one or more from that group.  I also have U, V, W, X , Y and someone can choose one or more from that group.  but if they choose on or more from either group, they cannot choose any from the other group.

if they choose on or more from either group, they cannot choose any from the other group.

Yes, I understood that the first time. But what do you want to actually happen when they try to choose from the other group? Are you familiar with how field validation works?

Wouldn't it be nicer if, when you select Oranges, you don't even display the options for Apples, and v. versa? Maybe I've misunderstood the question.

• Newbies

Sorry if I am not being clear.  Let me try again.

I have two groups of main categories:

GROUP A INCLUDES:  Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Social Sciences
GROUP B INCLUDES: Fine Arts, Humanities, Business, Law, and Engagement 

The user can choose any or all of the disciplines in one of the groups.  But they cannot choose from both groups.

I want check boxes that list each of the above disciplines (from both Group A & B), but once they have chosen the first discipline, they can only choose other disciplines from that same group..

Are these two columns of checkboxes, or two rows, or all mixed together or what? I ask because if they are in separate rows or columns, you could use two instances of the field, as suggested above, and use the Hide Object feature to make one group invisible once the first selection is made.

If they're all mixed together then I might try a filtered portal to get this effect.

See the attached file for example.

exclusive checkboxes.zip

This topic is 3137 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.