Dropdown but not showing all records

chuckcou

This topic is 3133 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

This should be easier, but I am having a small issue on how to limit records in Drop Down.  Currently, I can not get File Maker from showing all my records within the Drop Down.  Even when File Maker has a limited found set.

See attached fmp12 file Help.

Here are my records:

FileMakerRecords.thumb.jpg.3992e62105478

If I click on my Pending script it creates a found set of just pending:

FileMakerPending.thumb.jpg.565a2e92c2699

But if you click on my DropDown you get all the records.  I just want the pending records.

FileMakerShowingAllRecords.thumb.jpg.720

How can I limit the Drop Down to represent only those records that I have in my found set?

Thanks in advance, Chuck

Help.fmp12

Add a new button for this find.

I attached a mod of your file. I’m having trouble attaching my file, here is the script. 

Let me know if you have problems.

Go to Project
Set Variable
[ $pstat; Value:Project::Project Status ]

Set Variable [ $pro; Value:Project::project ]
Perform Find [ Specified Find Requests: Find Records; Criteria: Project::project: “=$pro” AND Project::Project Status: “=$pstat” ]

[ Restore ]

Go to Layout [ “Project” (Project) ] 

HelpMod.fmp12.zip

Thanks for the reply.  Your file attached fine and I was able to download.

The sample is close to working, but it still bring in wrong records.  It should only show 3 in the found set but the drop down is showing 4.  Thus it is kinda of working.  I know "kind of" and "programming" do not go together.

Here is the results--I hit the Pending Button and get this:

FileMakerProExamplePending.thumb.jpg.9a1

Drop Down Menu shows:

FileMakerProExampleResultsPending.thumb.

filemakerprorelationship.thumb.jpg.8ccc3

Can you help me understand why your are using two related table and not one?  Just trying to figure out you thought, so I might learn something and not have to ask again.

Thanks

Chuck

How can I limit the Drop Down to represent only those records that I have in my found set?

You cannot. A value list shows either all values from the selected field or only values from related records.

If you place "Pending" in a global field, and use it to create a relationship to Projects so that only pending projects are related, then you can define a value list that would show only values from the projects with selected status.

Hi Chuck,

Please update your profile to reflect what version of FileMaker, OS and Platform you are using. The link is beside your name in the top of the page.

Thanks for the reply.  

Can you help me understand why your are using two related table and not one?  Just trying to figure out you thought, so I might learn something and not have to ask again.

This is a learning site, so don’t worry about asking questions. As you progress through the learning curve, you will always have more questions.

Questions:

Did you examine/tear apart the Templates that came with your FileMaker Application? A couple of files come to mind that may help, Task.fmp12 and Event Management.fmp12

Have you taken any FileMaker courses? There are some great training sites available, let me know if you want a list.

Lee

Edited by Lee Smith
remove a error in post

Actually, found-set-based lists and calculations became possible after the introduction of the List-of summary field in FileMaker 13.

For some clever uses of this see FileMakerHacks:

http://filemakerhacks.com/2015/09/20/found-set-awareness-revisited/

See this further mod to your file.

HelpModBFR.fmp12.zip

BruceR--I will look over the hacks.  Tried you mod and it did not seem to work.  I get the impression that this cannot be done because of what Comment above said.

Lee Smith.

Filled out profile.

Did you examine/tear apart the Templates that came with your FileMaker Application? A couple of files come to mind that may help, Task.fmp12 and Event Management.fmp12

No I did not look at any of the Templates, but I will check out the two you recommended.

Have you taken any FileMaker courses? There are some great training sites available, let me know if you want a list.

No I have not taken any filemaker courses.  If you can send me a list that would be great, too

Do you agree with what Comment said?  I don't want to waste board members time on something that is not possible.

The mod works. Look more carefully.

Especially at the parts that I added, NOT at your old parts. Comment is an excellent source of information and highly experienced. But he is not up to date on more recent features and techniques. As I understand it he has not upgraded to anything later than version 11 and cannot test or develop more recent solutions.

The technique works but YOU need to study it and apply it to exactly your needs.

in particular look at the behavior of the second drop down in the header as you change found sets.

Found_set_aware_dropdown1.png

Not_Found_set_aware_dropdown.png

Found_set_aware_dropdown2.png

Edited by BruceR

Yup. As mentioned, 13 required for the summary list of function though there are some other methods such as custom functions that can build a list from a found set. But great advances came with 13 and 14.

Chuckcou,

Here is a mod of your file. I have not only added the filtering you needed, but a SHOW ALL in your pop-up menu, a few layout conditional formatting mods (buttons), and a Project Filter. The SHOW ALL is a record which has all the STATUSES selected - this makes it show always in each status choice in your filtered pop-up menu. When doing the find I am OMITTING that record with a sub-script. To do this your navigation need to be pretty tight. There is also some Script Triggers too.

Tear it apart and take a look.

I hope you are able to learn a bit from a few things I implemented. Good luck!

dwdc_help.fmp12

Edited by dwdata

As I understand it he has not upgraded to anything later than version 11

Yes, that is correct.

he is not up to date on more recent features and techniques.

That's not entirely correct. In fact, I have suggested a few uses for the new summary field myself. However, some things have not changed - notably this one:

A value list shows either all values from the selected field or only values from related records.

Now, it's true that with the help of the `List of'` summary field, it's easy to manufacture a related set that is identical to the current found set. The question is whether that's something worth doing. In the present case, I believe the answer is without a doubt no. When you have a global Status field, and you use it to perform a find, there is no reason to base the related set on the found set, when it can be based directly on the global field. In fact, the find itself is redundant, the records could be easily shown in a portal.

I would be more hesitant if the find itself was based on other criteria too - esp. user-entered criteria. But then the requirement to base a value list off the found set would not be very likely.

I think there was some confusion, at least on my part, about what the OP really wanted. I was completely surprised to see what he was so happy with in the example from DW. It sounds like that was in fact, what he wanted; to be able do a constrained find. But there we have it - ambiguity, perhaps amplified by new-user explanations and terminology.

That said, I think there are times when a value list based on a found set can be useful. Some things seem to be not worth the effort until - oh! Well now this is easy! Then they become useful tools with meaningful practical applications.

This topic is 3133 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.