Jump to next field when max. num. of characters is reached

This topic is 3139 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I have being trying to work this out, but I am finding the following problem:

- I would like to have a field that would contain info about account numbers for payments. However, the account number should be generated when it is feeded from the combinations of 5 different fields which should contain a max. number of characters, such as 4. When entering the data into these fields the desire behaviour should be that if I am in field 1 and write the first 4 characters, when I enter the 5th one then it should jump to the next field. 

I have seen this for example when you enter a serial number for a software or at online banking when asking to write the IBAN number.

So far, I have set the max. number of character for each of the sub fields as 4, but when I enter the data and exceed the max. number of characters I get a pop up message saying if I would like to overwrite this validation.

The question here would be if it would be possible that instead of getting a warning saying that I am exceeding the max. number of characters, it would just jump to the next field.

Thanks a lot!

Luis

Look into script triggers – especially OnObjectModify and OnObjectKeystroke.

You would probably want to jump to the next field after you've typed the 4th digit, rather than the 5th.

Hi Eos, 

Many thanks for your reply... I have looked into it but my knowledge regarding this the use of script triggers is limited. Could you redirect me a little bit more specific? It seems I would have to create a script that would do what I want, but no idea how to program it...

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks!

Hi again,

I just did a new search and found this very good article that explain exactly what I would like to achieve: http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demosX/demoX04.html

So I hope no need to any further help.

Thanks a lot!!

Best regards,

This topic is 3139 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.