Sign in to follow this  
BCA

Fields within a tab

I have a database that keeps track of computer system information. I have a record for each system (one per room). Within this system there are a number of different computer devices and I want to track settings such as IP addresses subnet masks and other network type information.

I have a table called “Systems” and I’m using tabs to separate the different devices within a system. Within each separate tab do I need to create a unique field for each piece of information or is there a more efficient way to do this? For example:

the first field would be device one IP address

the second field would be device one subnet mask

The third field would be device one preferred DNS

The fourth field would be device one IP address

The fifth field would be device one subnet mask

The sixth field would be device one preferred DNS

Etc.

Seems like I’m missing something and there might be a more efficient way. Thank you for any help.

37 minutes ago, BCA said:

Within this system there are a number of different computer devices

If one system can have multiple devices, then you have a one-to-many relationship between Systems and Devices - and you should use a portal to display the related records from Devices on a layout of Systems. A tab control is not really suitable for this - it is a layout-level device meant to switch between objects on the current layout, not between different records.

To view the details of one device at a time, see: 
http://fmforums.com/topic/71867-getting-more-out-of-filtered-portals-2view-selected-child/

Edited by comment

Hi BCA and welcome to the FM Forums,

Are you using FileMaker Pro 12,  or were you referring to the file ext of .fmp12, because Sliders weren't introduced until version 13?

Lee

Who said anything about sliders (or slide controls)?

the first field would be device one IP address...

The fourth field would be device one IP address

I'm thinking you meant:

The fourth field would be device TWO IP address ... etc.

As comment said above, with a table for "device" you'd only need those first three fields. Each device would get its own record.

From where it was posted.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Randy Bennett
      Yes, I did say iPhone 5 -
      I have a small database i created that has a few portals on different layouts - Everything works fine on my Mac, fine on my iPhone X, even fine on my iPad mini
      However, I need it to also work on an old iPhone 5 and the portal data is just blank - nothing. In fact, I really ONLY need it to work on this old iPhone 5 (This particular database will go to a music festival to be used by several other people and I can't give them my iPhone) 
      I have another layout with different portals that are working on the iPhone 5 - but not this main screen. 
      I have made sure that all of my fields are small and inside the portal. - So, I am stuck as to why? BTW - It is Filemaker Go 16.0.4.456 (The latest version that I can install on an iPhone 5)

• By cat traveller
      Hi everyone,
      on a file accessed via filemaker Go 17, I am using a scripted navigation to move records up and down in a portal that is inside a popover.
      This has worked in filemaker 12 like a charm and also works on a filemaker client. The records smoothly move up and down the list. 
      However in Filemaker Go, the portal follows every move of the script as if it is not aware of the freeze portal.
      EG the down button is to move the record one record further down inside the filtered and sorted portal (like so)
      This is the script.

- freeze window and go to portal
      - go to first line of portal and loop through the portal until I hit the record to move
      - go to next line and give the position field the value of my record to be moved
      - go to line above and give the position field the value of my record +1
      - commit record and refresh portal via an x join 
      - go to last line of the portal 
      - go to the line of position of my record to be moved. 

Would anyone be aware of this issue or know a workaround to stop the portal from flickering?

Thanks so much

• By Gismo12
      Hi,

I have a drop down in a portal, how do i filter the drop down box to only display the record relating the record in focus on the active layout where the portal is inserted?
      example: I have a customer selected in my customer layout, the customer has several products related to that customer. when I click on the drop down list in the portal, I only want to see the products for that specific customer. The drop down is in the warranty portal, products are saved in the product table with a reference to the customer.

Please could you assist?
    • By H
      Hi
      i have 3 Tables Property , Units , Tenant.
      Each property has many units , Each unit has one tenant active but may have many inactive tenants from previous years.
      All working fine BUT.....
      i would need to show a table in the property layout of the units and each one only with its active tenant.
      The portal is based on the units table. 
      However the tenant just show up the tenant that was first input to the unit.
      My question is , how could i get that only the active tenant should show to the unit?
      i would really appreciate it someone could guide me on this.
    • By H
      Hi
      Wondering whether this is one of Filemakers limitation and/or there are any ways round it.
      i have a portal which displays my related records to a customer . These records are split down to two sections (Two options) i had created a slider that on slide 1 it displays option 1 and on slide two option two.
      However the slider only seams to show up on the top portal row.
      i would appreciate if anyone could explain me if this is not possible or something was just set out wrong.
  • Who Viewed the Topic

1 member has viewed this topic:
    Kpoole 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.