This topic is 2355 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

We are looking into using ScriptMaster and specifically the encryption functions.

Do the EncryptAES and DecryptAES functions support AES 256?

Apologies if this is somewhere in the documentation, I did have look first!

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give,

Lewis

Hey Lewis,

Great question. After some tinkering, I got it to work for me. There's a few steps involved which I'll walk you through.

First off, we use Java methods to perform the encryption process for us. By default, the Java JRE only goes up to 128 bits (due to some security policy). If you are using Scripmaster version 5, you can swap out a couple of the jar files in the 360Plugin Java library to get it to work (notice that our plugins use this specific Java environment, not whatever version you have installed on your machine). The paths vary by operating system. On windows, they should be in ProgramData\360Works\Plug-ins\jre, and on Mac Users/username/Library/Application Support/360Works/Plug-ins.

From Oracle, you want to download the Java Cryptography Extension located here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jce8-download-2133166.html

In our JRE folder, replace the two existing jars with the ones you just downloaded located at ../jre/1.8.0_121/Contents/Home/lib/security/US_export_policy.jar. Using Scripmaster modules, I generated a 256bit key (instead of 128) and was able to encrypt and decrypt with it. I also checked to make sure my plaintext matched up after going through the process.

Just a reminder that I tested this using Scriptmaster 5 and can't endorse this workaround with previous versions as they have completely different Java frameworks. 

Should you have any questions about this, let me know. It was a fun learning experience!

Junior Perez

360Works Support

• Like 1

Hi Junior,

Thank you very much for getting back to me on this one, really helpful steps you've put together. We'll try that out here and come back if we have any questions.

Are there any plans to include this as standard/an option in a future version of ScriptMaster? The only reason I ask is because there are quite a few users and I don't fancy going round each desktop to swap out the Java files 😁 No problems if not. 

Thanks again for looking into this for us. 

Lewis

Hey Lewis,

I'm in talks with our developers in regards to incorporating this in our plug-in. For the time being, I might be able to send you a beta build. Which operating system are you guys using, Mac or Windows? Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] with your response and I'll see about changing the JRE download when the plug-in initializes to get you the right one.

This is quite a common thing for Java devs to have to do. The US govt are not really that much of a fan of certain countries setting hold of higher level encryption so Oracle keeps this outside the normal products and you have to get hold of it separately... and we are both 'export' customers

As a Keystore explorer user on Mac for example I just have to the downed and copy thing each time it is updated...

This topic is 2355 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.