Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Get data from a field in a portal

enquirerfm

This topic is 2282 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have set up a portal which correctly shows the records I need. I want to be able to select the data from one of the fields - say there are 5 fields across one row of the portal and there are 5 rows of data showing. Is it possible to create a script which I can assign to a button which would copy the data in field 3 row 2, say? Thank you.

Please see the attached FM file (v8.5). Basically I am using this to try and adjust commissions payable. I want the portal to show the later entries which I import from a web download - both the file and portal sort so that the latest created records are either first or at the top. I am using a self-joined DB. I could just add the fields manually - not terribly onerous but would be nice to copy and paste using a button... Therefore the record created first, which has the earliest creation date is the main record for processing the adjustments since this would have been the record which created the original posting for commissions. The later records imported into the file provide the basis for adjustments. Sorry if this isn't clear.

I have set up the example with 3 records. The first created record is the base record from which the original account postings are made. The other 2 records provide the adjustments. In the real world these are likely to be weeks apart. I have completed the entry for the second adjustment. The portal needs to show the adjusted totals with the latest at the top - obviously the first record (base record) doesn't show in the portal for the base record which is good.

PortalEx.zip

Edited by enquirerfm
clarification

LOL, Agnes.

EnquireFM, I had a look at your file. Your data structure is a bit questionable to me (anytime you see field 1, field 2, field 3 notation, you question the data model).

Quick answer...you can use buttons to capture values and set values. You can string values together as script parameters by concatenating them and then parsing them on the receiving side. 

FM 8.5!!! So many new functions and features since then that I cannot even think in 8.5 anymore. Sorry.

• Like 1

Thanks for your interest. here is the file in v12adv. All I want to know - is there a quick way to copy the contents of the fields which show in the portal. eg button to copy contents of R1F1, R1F2,R1F3 etc and then if I want R2F1, R2F2 etc (R=Row, F=field).

PortalEx.fmp12

OK, thanks everyone - sorted.

I would recommend staying away from the "Copy" function in FM. You should use "Set Field". tell it where you want to get the data from and where it should send it.
I didn't see your file, but just wanted to let you know.

Agnes, I think that enquirerfm wants to Copy the content to Clipboard to be able to Paste it later. Is that right, enquirerfm?

Edited by Pavlk

This topic is 2282 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.