Can I Exclude Duplicates from a Running Total Count?

This topic is 2223 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, everyone, here’s my latest question. I hope this is the proper area to post it.

I’m creating a flat-file movie database to keep track of where my movies are in my home. I added a serial number field, which gives me a running total of how many movies are in my collection.

But I think I need something different, and am requesting help for creating it. I have several duplicate movies in my collection, and I don’t want the duplicates included in any total count of my movies. At least, not in my forms or reports. I don’t care if duplicates get serial numbers, and I don’t care if the count in the toolbar (i.e. 516 unsorted) counts them all. I understand that the serial numbers and toolbar count are for “records.” But I want a total count of my movies, excluding duplicates.

What I’ve done is create a checkbox for duplicates. If the box is checked, then of course, the movie is a duplicate. Is it possible to create a field that has a running count of the movies in my collection, EXCLUDING the duplicates? If it is possible, what is the procedure from omitting them from any such subtotal, summary, or running total?

Thank you! PT

You can use the Get ( FoundCount ) function.

Do a find for the Checkbox with the X and Omit them, this will give you your answer.

BTW, did you fix your Serial Numbers?

A boolean field that is set to auto enter 1 on every record which would indicate this is movie that is to be counted.

You set it to 0 to indicate that the record is a duplicate

Create a summary field to Total the this BooleanField  which would sum all the 1's to give you a true total of the movies that are not duplicates.

otherwise you would need to inverse the logic and create a other field to count. 

isDuplicate = Yes

FlagMovie = If ( isDuplicate = "Yes" ; 0 ; 1 ) 

Counts = Total [FlagMovie]

Lee,

Thank you again.  Yes, I have worked out the serial number field.  

Now, regarding this Total Count field that I'm working on...here's what I've done so far.  Up to now, it's been easy.

First, I created a value list named "Duplicates," with just the number 1, then created a Number field named "Duplicate."  I then created a check box, using the "Duplicates" value list.  This entire procedure took roughly a minute.

Then, I created a field named "Total", which represents the total number of movies in my database.  I used the Get ( FoundCount ) function.  It was surprisingly easy to figure out how to do this.

Right now, I have not yet figured out how to deduct the duplicates from that "Total" field.  You said, "Do a find for the Checkbox with the X and Omit them, this will give you your answer."   I do know how to perform a find for the duplicates.   But I have not yet figured out how to take that information and omit it from the Total field.  Is it possible you can elaborate on this a bit further?  Thank you.

PT

PS:  Should any of these fields be a SUMMARY field?  Should the "Total" field be set as Summary, instead of Calculation, which is what I used for the GET function you recommended?

Edited by Peterteneldas

This topic is 2223 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.