Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Text aligning vertical

TaiChi56

This topic is 1959 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a field that holds names, normally four names separated by commas. But right now they are aligned like this:

John Doe,

Jane Doe,

Billy Doe,

Jo Doe

I need to have them listed on one line such as this:  John Doe, Jane Doe, Billy Doe, Jo Doe

I tried importing from a CSV and an EXCEL sheet and it still comes out vertical. 

Any help would be appreciated, thank you. 

I'm not sure I understand your description. Is the above the contents of one field, in one record? If so, I would assume that the names are separated by a carriage return (or returns), in addition to the comma. This should be easy enough to test by looking at the result of =

Substitute ( Yourfield ; ¶ ; "" )

Yes, it is one field in one record. It is a movie database and the field is the actor field. So in my edit box it shows the names one after the other in a vertical format. I want it on one line. I put your code in the actor field in Calculated value under manage database but nothing happened. Was that the correct way to do it? Thank you.  

Just now, TaiChi56 said:

I put your code in the actor field in Calculated value under manage database but nothing happened. Was that the correct way to do it?

No. You should try it in a new calculation field. Or you could use the Data Viewer, since you have the Advanced version.

If you cannot make it work, could you post a file that shows this? All we need is one record with one field containing the problematic data..

Thank you. I attached a file so you can see what is going on. I am also having problems with the Director field. You can see where the name dropped down a space. If there is more than one director it then does the same thing as the actor field. Thank you for your help. 

FMForumUpload.fmp12

As I suspected, you have carriage returns in both fields. In the actor field, every name is prepended with a return:

actors.png.6f1cba856b979200ad36d24f30e7992e.png

In the director field, there is a carriage return both before and after the name:

director.png.5316f49e1aae36e1f327dd3b247e018e.png

If these values are imported, and you want the returns to be removed during the import, set both fields to auto-enter a calculated value =

Substitute ( Self ; ¶ ; "" )

and enable auto-enters in the import dialog.

This topic is 1959 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.