System script for backup does not work with Catalina

naio

This topic is 1509 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have FMS17 running a system shell script that does the following:

1. Tar the latest backup folder and leave it into a specific 'tar' folder
  2. Mount an external volume share
  3. rsync external share and tar folder

The script was running twice a day without any problem until last week when I upgraded the server OS from High Sierra to Catalina.

FMS event log just shows the following:

Schedule "schedule-name" aborted; aborted by user.

Possibly it's a problem with permissions but how to fix it?

FMS 18v3 is the first and so far only version of FMS that is compatible with Catalina so you should expect issues when trying to run FMS17 on it.  I would suggest you roll back to Mojave and stay within support parameters.

Other than that: does your shell script do its own logging so that you know how far it gets and what errors it encounters?

Thanks for your reply.

I decided to run the script from launchd. I'm not an expert on bash but a tool called LaunchControl has helped me to debug.

So right now I run this at start up:

/bin/mkdir -p /Volumes/share 
/sbin/mount -o nosuid,-d=777 -t smbfs //user:[email protected]/share /Volumes/share

This works normally: the share is mounted. From Terminal –only with root privileges– I can see the share properties:

drwxrwxrwx  1 root  wheel  16384  2 jan 21:19 share

I can also see subfolders and its files properties and it all seems fully open, but it's not, because if at the end of the script I add 

/bin/ls -l /Volumes/share

I get an 'Operation not permitted' error.

It makes no sense to me: the same running script that allows for a share mount, denies an ls.

I'm totally lost and I'm afraid that this is about MacOS, not FMS.

Finally, after many turns, I've found what's going on:

/bin/bash needs to have Full Disk Access privileges. In order to do so I went to Apple Menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy, selected Privacy tab, unlocked the settings and added /bin/bash to the list.

Now I can read and write the mounted share, but even after doing this the script doesn't work when called from FMS17 but that's a different story: first I should upgrade to FMS 18.0.3 or downgrade Catalina to Mojave, as @Wim Decorte suggested

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi! For all others who would encounter the same issue.

Running FMServer on 18.0.3.319 version and Catalina 10.15.3, I was unable to add additional folder on external disk. FMServer was returning an invalid folder path message. 

I do almost the same thing than @naio :

Apple Menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy, selected Privacy tab, and unlocked the settings and added/checked fmserver_helperd.

The issue was solved then.

Hope it helps,

Tomy

This topic is 1509 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.